My friend visited India last year, because of a business his company had there. Unfortunately, he was infected by parasite called Leishmania that is endemic in India. That disease can be very dangerous and in those countries lot of people die because of its severe symptoms. One of drugs that are effective against leishmania is alopurinol. I am interested in its pharmacokinetics and mechanism. Can it help my friend or there is no drug that eradicates leishmania?

There are different kind of symptoms that leishmania may cause. Sometimes it is even asymptomatic. It is positive that your friend was properly diagnosed. Alopurinol is drug that inhibits multiplication of parasite. If you understand me, it works as alternate substrate for an enzyme hypoxantine guanil phosphorybozil transpherase, and incorporates in parasite’s RNA. That way alopurinol stops parasite’s proteins and causes its death. Alopurinol is effective drug in treatment of leishmaniasis. Alopurinol pharmacokinetics is problem of clinicians.