Hello, my friends. My friend has been recently diagnosed with infective endocarditis. As a therapy, he got erythromycin. I would like to know if this is a good choice when it comes to this disease. Perhaps, your experiences are different. I would appreciate all your replies considering this topic. Bye, guys!

Hi, there. When we talk about the treatment, I think that the best antibiotic is the one shown on antibiogram. There you can see which antibiotic bacteria are sensitive to. When it comes to prophylaxis, there are some other antibiotics. Penicillin antibiotics are great. I would recommend amoxicillin as an option. Of course, you should consult about all this with your doctor. I hope this helps. Bye!

Hello, everyone. I would agree with the previous post. However, I would add something. What about those people who are allergic to penicillin? What should they do? They must take erythromycin or even hemomycin. The other one is more powerful. You can also consult your doctor about this. I hope I was helpful. Bye!

Your friend's Physician may have the first and last word on this one and may be the only one better able to determine whether Erythromycin is the dug of choice for your friends case of Infective Endocarditis. The reason for that is: Endocarditis is usually caused by a specific Staphylococci infection of the endocardial surface of the heart and Erythromycin is an antibiotic from a class of drugs called Macrolide which is designed to kill or stop multiplication and growth of specific bacteria.

So, if your friend's Physician prescribed Erythromycin, chances are the bacteria causing the infection in your friend was maybe an antibiotic directed against gram-positive organisms... in which a similar drug, Vancomycin (Vancocin) is design specifically to do.

Specific is the keyword. If the infecting agent is gram-positive, Penicillin G (Pfizerpen) won't help it, for example. If it was Alpha-hemolytic streptococci, Erythromycin would not help. Do you get my drift? I know that you are very concerned about your friend's well-being, but I think you are going to have to just trust his doctor on this one.

Your friend's Doctor will be conducting a variety of test, to evaluate the progress of his therapy so if this treatment is not effective enough, there will be plenty of time to change its course.

Hope this answers your question!

REFERENCE(S):

1.Keith A Marill, M.D., 2008. Endocarditis. Emedicine Clinical Reference, emedicine.com/TOPIC164.HTM