How effective chloroquine is against malaria? I know that it is famous antimalaric drug, but have heard that malaria has become resistant on widely used medications as cloroquine and chinin. I’ve also heard that it can cause serious side effects, like damage of central nervous system is. Is it recommended to be used when person is planning to visit regions that are endemic for malaria? What else can be used instead of chloroquine?

I visited Southern Africa last year. I didn’t take cloroquine, because I also had information about its toxicity and limited efficacy against the parasite. I used repellents, wore clothes with long sleeves, slept under nets with pyrethrine that is also insecticide, and that helped. Be very careful in contact with food and water. Malaria is more present in rural regions; it is not that common in cities, although they belong to affected area. If you decide to use medication for prophilaxis, ask your doctor before, and tell him what country exactly you are going to visit, because resistance on the drugs differs from region to region.

Doxycycline can be used for prevention of Malaria..It is a very safe and effective antibiotic