Hello, folks. I was diagnosed with gout and I just started using allopurinol, but I had another gout attack yesterday. I was wondering if this drug is good in any way for these acute attacks or not. I will really appreciate if someone could tell me this. This disease really gives me a lot of pain.

Hi, there. I am afraid that allopurinol cannot help you much in acute gout attack. Allopurinol inhibits an enzyme called xantine oxidase. This enzyme is important in producing uric acid. Uric tophi are the ones that are accumulating in your joints and making you feel this pain. It takes time for allopurinol to take effect. That is why you should take it regularly. However, in case of acute attack, you should take NSAIDs or colchicine. You should check first with your doctor that you don’t have any contraindications for these drugs. I hope everything will be all right.