I wasn't sure what board to post this in.

My doctor is usually in a rush and I find it difficult to talk to her about all these situations I am having. I'm not sure if it is natural occurring or something I should be worried about. I'm 18.

She found a cyst in my pineal gland, though assured me it wasn't very big and not to worry about it. It was caught in an MRI, and I had an MRA a month after. Once again, they assured that everything was okay. I'm waiting on a call from a city hospital a 3 hour drive away for further information and how this is going to be handled, ect. They told me the call could be a few month wait. That is ALL the information that was given to me.

I've been reading a lot about the symptoms of pineal gland tumors, and I feel I don't have any of them aside of vision problems. Though I have various other symptoms that I thought were caused by the cyst, I haven't found any information confirming that it is tied.

I'm going to list several issues that are known to me, but I have absolutely no idea if they are tied to having a cyst in a pineal gland.

Severe hair loss. (I'm female. This started about the age of 14)
Irregular periods. (I have 4-6 a year ever since I started ovulating.)
Hypothyroidism (with all the symptoms of that)
Slightly higher testosterone
High Cortisol
Foggy memory
All of the symptoms of PCOS... without having PCOS. (been tested already.)
Double vision, extreme blurriness, inability to focus, wandering eye. My mother found it odd that I could feel when my eye moves and can correct it immediately, though it gets rather obnoxious to do.
Fatigue. I will actually get sleepy when I am out and about with other people. I've been told that is it because I'm introverted, however I worry it plays into a symptom of something. I am only slightly overweight and I highly doubt being out a few hours a day on my feet would drain 8 hours of sleep so quickly.
Dizziness fits
Speech impairment. I find it hard to vocalize what I am thinking and 80% of the time will spew gibberish. It is more common than not that I forget what I am saying while I am saying it.

I heard somewhere that the pineal gland is a major hormone function. Having a tumor protruding in that area will have effects on hormones, right? Is that the cause of the hypothyroidism, testosterone and cortisol? This is just what they caught, I wouldn't be surprised if there is more.

I've been trying very hard to gather as much information and educate myself about this situation, but I'm having a lot of trouble. 

Hello.  I have a 24 Yr old son who has a 1.1 x 1 cm x .95 mm pineal cyst/tumor.  He suffers with severe headaches, sleep problems, is light sensitive has had nausea and some vomiting.  He also has lost alot of hair.  Now I am really starting to think this is related.  Also has constipation problems and some other symptoms.  They found this cyst approx 3 yrs ago, when he started having the headaches.  Has any doctor told you that the hairloss could be related to the cyst? 

I have had many of the same symptoms that you have listed. I am a 33 year old female, but symptoms started two years ago. I have gone to several doctors all who were quick to tell me it was just anxiety and prescribe things like valium and zoloft. I wasn't convinced and turned to a nutritionist who dealt with muscle testing and she found my pineal gland wasn't functioning properly. I have just started taking standard process neuroplex and am hopeful it will help. I have done some light research on the pineal gland and it is totally linked with your progesterone/estrogen levels as well as the thyroid and other glands in the endocrine and nervous system. So yes, I do believe that is causing your other symptoms as well. Good luck!.

I have a pineal cyst and have been told by numerous neurologists and other dr's that none of my symptoms could be caused by the cyst, but they have no idea what's wrong with me. I have serious unexplained hair loss, but all my blood work came back normal- no thyroid, adrenal, or other gland issues (tho the endocrinologist had no way of testing for the pineal gland and also looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about it). I have many other symptoms from balance, nausea and headaches to cognitive issues, stutter, and the hair loss and many inbetween. Hearing and balance tests-normal. Blood work- normal. Only thing showing up odd is the cyst.
I've done hours of research to try to get answers and found that the pineal gland produces a hormone that blocks a chemical in the brain that causes your hair to gray and fall out. Also, if the melatonin levels are being affected, it can cause things like autoimmune diseases (ie alopecia that causes your body to attack your own hair follicles causing them to fall out). Now, finding a doctor to either listen or believe it's related to the cyst is another story.
I've figured out that unless the cyst is big enough to cause hydrocephalus, they don't care. They see it as benign and not causing any issues, not that it could be creating excess pressure in your brain similar to that of a cancerous tumor and causing symptoms. To them, it's not cancerous, it's not a threat. Keep pressing for answers, get tests to rule out as much as possible, and be prepared for them to think you're nuts when you ask about it causing problems. Stay strong! :)

facebook has a pineal cyst group check it out

I would like to respond to your post and also know how you are doing. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

my name is sherrie I would like to join the conversation

I have to go back and do this again to see if this pineal gland has grown at first I had all kind of crazy systems vertigo sick on the stomach but now I feel alright I think every thing came from my noise being deviated I had the surgery and someone told me it .could have came from that. I will find out more but I do know that's a hard spot to operate on.

Did you find any answers? I have the same story . I was wondering if you learned anything new. If you have would you mind sharing. I am experiencing the same exact symptoms. Thanks

I just found out that I have a large Pineal Gland cyst and I have almost all the same symptoms as you (in fact all, some just present differently - e.g. I have difficulty focusing and converging, not specifically wandering eye.)

Can you tell me where I can find more information on how "the pineal gland produces a hormone that blocks a chemical in the brain that causes your hair to gray and fall out?"