My son has cysts on pineal gland, which was treated like benign lesion until recently when it started to showing symptoms of tumor. Doctor is considering surgery to alleviate symptoms. What is a common treatment for pineal region tumors? Worried mother.

Treatment for pineal gland cysts or tumor varies of factors like health of patient, age and presenting symptoms. In some cases, surgical removal is best choice, in many cases treatment of hydrocephalus followed by later surgery. Some tumors are sensitive on radiation .Outcome of the surgery depends on size and type of tumor. If it is consolation, this combination of approaches pineal tumors are among the most treatable tumors and long-term outlook is generally excellent.

Hello there worried mother,

I believe that your doctor has the best intentions and that he wouldn’t suggest treatment option such as surgery if he didn’t think that this is the best solution for your son. Usually these cysts are not treated at all but just regularly checked on MRI every now and then but we are not the same and every patient reacts differently for certain things.

Luckily, as Suzie has pointed out, pineal tumors are among the most treatable tumors and the outcome of the surgery and prognosis are usually excellent. I presume that your doctor has shared the same information with you so you can try to stop worrying that much, especially in front of your son and let the doctors do their job. I hope that your son is going to be fine.