During sex with my girlfriend about 6 weeks ago, our condom broke. We did not use any other form of contraception. After some discussion, she took Plan B two days later. One week after we had sex, my girlfriend got her normal period, on schedule. We thought we were in the clear. However, since then, my girlfriend's period has not come. She is 8 days late as of today. Could the hormones in the Plan B pills be the cause of this? Is it possible that she's pregnant even though she received the next immediate period? We have not had sex since that time 6 weeks ago. We aim to get a pregnancy test done ASAP, but I would like to know why she's late now, but wasn't one week after we had sex.

The only way she would be pregnant now is if the ECP had failed and the "period" she had was actually implantation bleeding, this bleeding is usually lightish, like a dark brown discharge.

also if her periods tend to fluctuate a lot, stress can delay a period.

I doubt that she is pregnant. if she took the emergency contraceptive and got her period. I cant know, so you will have to do a test obviously. If it has been 6 weeks since the unprotected intercourse a home pregnancy test would work by now.

If it helps though, I took the emergency pill once and it made my period come early (5 days early than usual) and as a result the following one was 9 days late. The pill might have had something to do with this.

hope this helps

I agree with the last poster. I'll also add, FYI, that Plan B is less effective the later you take it - 89 percent for within 48 hours, 95 percent for within 24 hours. For next time, you will want to know this so you can either stock up on Plan B in advance for just in case, or get it ASAP. 

Implantation bleedings do not look like normal periods; they are very light. (I've had one.) Plan B, on the other hand, can indeed mess with menstrual cycles quite a bit for a while. If she's wondering, could I still be pregnant, the answer is really, not likely at all. 

YES the EC pill does cause cycle problems and changes for the first monh after you take it .

WHY not have her consider regular birth control pills? They are safe and effective!

I took the Plan B Pill a month ago. On August 23rd and I had taken it on the second day of my period. It stopped for a day (I heard it can do that when a guy cums in you). And it started back that Sunday. I had a very long period. It lasted about 8 days. And it was fairly heavy..I've never had one last that long. I have a normal 28-29 day cycle. I was supposed to start my period this month on the 21st and it didn't come. I took a pregnancy test that Sunday, two days after my missed period. It was negative. I know I am not pregnant but from what I have read on the Pill it can cause you to be late on your period and even early and some women even get spotting before their period. I've read a lot of post on women being late after the pill and having negative test. I really think these women are not pregnant, I have yet to start and I know it is because of the pill. That is the only down side to the pill it messes with your period so be prepared for that. Do a lot of research on the pill because if you are worried about missing your period or just having a screwy period it will happen! I am just giving some other women a heads up. Don't be scared right away like I was..it will come. And for the most part the pregnancy test are right when they say negative..even the 20th one you take is right. Unless you have sex inbetween all of that.

For some women, plan b is hell on their cycles. I took plan b last month and got that month's period right on schedule but it was heavier than normal.
The following month's period came a week early. The flow was so light it was almost nothing. Basically just a day of spotting. I did have some bad cramps. To rule out pregnancy I've taken tests...and so far they've all come back negative.

This has been helpful information to know. And either I'm pregnant or the pill is creating havoc on my period.

I had sex on the morning of Saturday, November 17th and the condom came off in me (never happened to me before in my life). We immediatly went to the drug store and got Plan B. Then like a stupid girl we had sex again the following morning and I went and took another Plan B on Monday morning just to be on the "safe side." I'm sure I didn't need to do that, but I did anyway.

Now it's 38 days or so later since the beginning of my last period and I'm freaked a little. I can't remember the exact start date of my last period but it was around November 5th or 6th because it ended about the 11th or 12th. About a week after taking the pill I had that spotting everyone was talking about, dark brown, thick and gross for a couple days but that was all nothing like my normal periods which last about 5-6 days at least and full periods. I had a few symptions like cramping, back pain and headaches around the time of the spotting but that's gone now. I've taken two pregnancy tests, both negative. I have been stressed at work leading up to the sexual encounter then worried thereafter about this whole thing. I'm hoping I just really screwed up my period, but the longer it goes, the more freaked I get.

Any thoughts?

Ok I had unprotected (id**t) sex in Oct right at the time I should have been ovulating like day 14 and for the record I don't use any birth control (id**t) So I took plan B pill RIGHT AWAY!! WITHIN 12 hrs of unprotected sex. Alright so I got a period or was bleeding a week later pretty much what it said would happen and I bled like a normal period which is 5 days for me and that was the last week in Oct... Ok it is now the end of Dec and still no period!! I really thought for the last 3 days I was definitly getting my period I have been cramping and discharging as if I was then for past 3 days I have been spotting very light but no period!! I already took 3 pregnancy test every week and each one has come back negative Now i have 2 kids and I know what its like being pregnant and a missed period, spotting, and fatigue is a definite sign of pregnancy but of course I am in denial and don't want a baby right now I am just hoping that this plan b pill is throwing me out a WACK so PLEASSSE can someone help me or is this normal...

jomija, when did you end up having your period? My GF has the exact same thing going on with her cycle...

It would be great if somebody can throw more light on this topic.My gf is facing the same problem.

Please someone help.She is freaking out.

I wish I could find some of this information helpful.
I had sex for the first time on the 2nd of September, like a m***n I didn't use any form of contraception, but he did not finish in me.
I was worried about the precum because I heard that there is a chance that it can cause pregnancy, so I went to my clinic and got Plan B.
My period usually comes in the beginning of the month, and I was spotting the morning of the 6th of September, but my friend told me this can occur after intercourse if you don't bleed, seeing as how it was my third time having sex and I really wasn't used to it.
The clinic made me take both pills at the same time, I was kind of iffy about that because I had read you were supposed to take one pill up to 72 hours after intercourse and another 12 hours later.
My period still has yet to come, and I did not get one this month, I have been having my normal symptoms of getting my period, irritability, breast tenderness, bloating, but it actually all seems to be subsiding a little.
I'm extremely stressed out so I think that could be the problem, since I was stressed out from day 1!
Can someone please help. I know the EMC pill works for people who actually have had the guy finished in them, so I thought it would work better because he didn't, but I'm honestly getting more and more stressed out everyday.

Alright, first I have to say, that I have goen through the ordeal from start to end:

My boyfriend and I were having sex when the condom broke. We freaked out and went to get the morning after pill within 30 minutes of the unprotected sex. I wasn't sure if it broke in me or if it broke outside, but we figured it was better to be safe than sorry.
This all happened on August 12th, the 8th day of my cycle (which means, my period had come that month on AUGUST 4TH) I normally have 30-31 day cycles, so I was pretty sure i was NOT fertile, but again, it is much better to be safe than sorry.

So I took the pill, did not have any of the immediate side effects such as nausea or vomiting. I had very light bleeding 5-6 days after swallowing the pill, and it lasted for about 4 days. I have been told that this was just intermenstrual bleeding, that it didn't mean anything, BUT, that is not correct.

Before I explain further, let me finish my story. By September 4th, I still didn't get my period, so i started getting antsy. By September 11th, It still didn't come, and i was panicking. THEN, I talked to a friend who had gone through this all and she told me that that "light bleeding" I had after I took the pill was my NEW cycle time.

I am pleased to announce, that I got my period today, just like she said I would, and almost exactly a month from that light bleeding I experienced.

So in conclusion, ladies, please do not worry if you don't get your period within a week of your expected time. Most likely, it will come a cycle from that light bleed you will get after taking the morning after pill, which usually will be close to 2 weeks LATER than the first day of your old period time.

Plan B tells you on that paper that comes with the box AND on their website that you may be pregnant if your period doesnt come within 1 week of your normal period time. IT'S MISLEADING. IT'S NOT TRUE.

I took a pregnancy test, fearing for the worst sometime around September 10th, and was relieved when it came out negative, and now, thinking back, it was completely unnecessary.

The best thing to do, and yet the hardest thing to do, is to just be PATIENT and WAIT. It's true, stressing causes your period to be late, or even worse, to miss it. I assure you, if you followed the plan B instructions to take the first pill ASAP (preferably within 24 hours) and the second pill 12 hours later, you won't be pregnant.

So now, a month wiser, and a bit crampy and bloaty, I wish all the ladies out there my best wishes, and to not worry, it's coming!!

I wrote this especially for you guys, because I came across so many frantic posts of women who were in my position, but I never found out what happened to them afterwards, so I wanted to give a note of comfort to everybody who has found themselves in this limbo.

Thanks for listening! :O

Okay so me and my boyfriend had sex, couple times with no problems and then we had sex again and the condom broke, but he ya know after it was out(all the same day). we got plan b the next day and i took it immeditely. the doctor said it can influence your next period too.and i got my normal period after, right on time. But now it's been 5 days and still no period(my normal cycle is 29 days) and i don't know if it's the plan b or what. can anyone help?

i think its the pills. i took plan b in the beginning of august. my cycle is still very messed up from it. it takes weeks for me to start bleeding. and to add to that, i have been insanely stressed. so my periods comes whenever it wants its very annoying. i just want to go back to a normal cycle. i miss them :) and i cant go to the doctor and ask her because i dont have health insurance :(

meliss2219, I am glad that you wrote that the plan b you took in August is still having effects on your cycle. My past period was on October 10th...(I had taken plan b on the 6th)...I was suppose to get my period on the 8th...(I usually have it every 26 days)...and now its Nov 14th and I haven't gotten it. I just started getting some brown/clear spotting yesterday morning that I can only see when I wipe (sometimes). I have taken plan b like 3 times before (I really gotta get on some real birth control soon)...but it has never down this before. The first two times I got my normal period when I was suppose to and the 3rd time it came like 3 days early. I guess now I am just waiting on the regular flow (and I guess all of the stress/being sick with a cold could be throwing my cycle off too).