I have read that many girls/women are worried about taking “The morning after pills” aka “Plan B” and I decided to share my knowledge and experience with you, so you wouldn’t have to wonder around and post so many similar questions when you can find everything at one place.

“The morning after pills” are hormonal pills. They represent high dosage of the birth control pills. Plan B is not supposed to be used as a regular contraceptive but only to prevent pregnancy in case of “accidents”. So, you are not supposed to take them on regular basis. I even heard there should be at least 3 months between taking the pills but I am not sure how much truth there is in this statement.

Plan B does three things in order to prevent pregnancy. If taken before ovulation, it prevents the upcoming ovulations (egg release). It also prevents sperm from reaching the released egg (if ovulation had already occurred). Plan B prevents fertilization by altering the endometrium, uterine lining where the fertilized egg was supposed to implant.

If you already got pregnant, the pills are not supposed to harm the developing fetus-at least there is no evidence that it would.

There are two pills in one package. The first pill is supposed to be taken within 72 hours but the sooner you take it the bigger chances of preventing pregnancy. The second pill should be taken exactly 12 hours after the first one.

Yes, there are side effects but nothing to worry about. However, I do understand that these side effects worry many women, so I will mention them. Some women get their period right away after taking the pills while other experience late periods. Some women even feel nauseous after taking the pills, it happened to me too.

I even experienced a change in my cycle, went from 24 days to 27 for a period of time.

The morning pill after is NOT supposed to be taken as an ABORTION pill. It won’t do anything if you have already got pregnant.

If your period is late and you tested positive for pregnancy, make sure you contact your gynecologist to discuss your options.

The plan B failure rate is quite low.

so i was wondering, after you take the first pill, should the side effects start or after the second pill?

There are actually FEW side effects with PLAN B, most women do not notice anything at all..

PLAN B is not an abortion, so if you are already pregnant it will do nothing.

Most women will have a period about 7-10 days after its use, although it is normal to have one sooner or later than that timeframe.

My last period was 1/2/07. Then on 1/13/07, things got hot and heavy with my boyfriend and in a complete lapse of judgement we began to have sex with no protection. Only seconds later we stopped ourselves and he pulled out (there was no ejaculation). I had Plan B in my medicine cabinet for emergency use and to be safe I took it right away. I just have a few questions. Today, 1/20/07, I am noticing a good amount brown/red blood every time I go to the bathroom. I know my period isn't supposed to come until approx. 1/29/07 .. so I'm not really sure what this is. I'm also feeling a little sick. My breasts are not tender and I do not have any headaches. I'm wondering if all of this is normal and if so, approximately how long these symptoms will last? Due to the time period of when the unprotected sex occured and the short duration of it, as well as actions taken after and the symptoms occuring now, what are your opinions on the chances of pregnancy occuring? Thank you so much!

THAT is caused by plan B.

PLAN B takes over your normal cycle, so you would not get your period when you normally would expect it =)

Ok so it's been a while now and I was just wondering approximately when I can expect my next period? on 1/20 I had a 5 day long "period" induced by plan B. I was supposed to get my regular period 1/29. Now on 1/4, I'm just wondering what to expect. Does the period induced by plan B count as a period and my cycle starts over from that point? Or, do I need to get a pregnancy test because I'm late from my regularly expected period date..?

JessA05 wrote:

im going through the same things....i had my period on 02/04/07 and then had unprotected sex with me boyfriend and as a cover up took the morning after pill within 72 hrs ...and i had my period again ( which was 13 days since i last had them ) .....now am i supposed to expect my next period date to be 03/04 or 04/17 ?? is this a sign of pregnancy??? please do help

In a spur of the moment thing, I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend, the next morning I took plan b, but I also kept taking my yasmin birth control pills. Was this a mistake? Because I never got a period after taking plan b. My pharmacist informed me that I could take the first pill and then the second 12 hours later, or BOTH at the same time. Which is what I did. Im now on day 4 of my reminder pills and still have not gotten my period. I was also currently on yasmin when I had sex but still wanted that extra security of plan b. So plan b says that a week after your normal cycle and still no period you should consider pregnancy, but Im wondering, since Im a sunday starter on the pill.. should I wait a week before starting a new pack of yasmin? Or continue taking it like normal.

Continue taking them like normal!

YASMIN had you protected, you did not need PLAN B.

PLAN B has caused an upset in your cycle, this is NORMAL!

Take a pregnancy test just to be sure, but it would be so highly UNLIKELY!!

Keep taking your next pack of pills too..

i guess this is cross posted, but not sure where else it can go..sorry if this is against the rules or something.

i'm so scared right now. i feel like i messed up so badly and i barely have anyone to talk to about this.. :-(
i had my last period at the end of january. about a week later i took plan B after thinking that something had gone wrong even though i dont even think my partner and i had sexual intercourse. a few days after that i got some light bleeding and then got a little heavier. it lasted shorter than my regular period and was generally lighter. i guess it could have been my period again..even if it was really really early and came only about 2 weeks after my last one. since then there have been incidents where i am pretty sure i did not have sex (was a little bit under the influence of alcohol) but i remember fairly clearly and i am almost certain we did not have sex. last time one of these incidents occured was about a week ago, and now that my period is late i took a preg. test yesterday. it came out negative and i would think that it is trustworthy because i took it when my period was already late, but ive heard that it may be too early to test.
what do you guys think? is it too early, or should it be accurate because my period is already late?
there is also some question of whether plan B is messing up my cycle, which is what i've been hearing fairly often as well. ive heard of periods being late, but not of coming and then being late after that cycle..
i'm really scared right now. i know i probably made a mistake if i did have sex while intoxicated, but right now i just need some answers before i can do anything. i guess i just feel helpless :-(

In mid-March, we had a "condom accident," so we got Plan B. We were kind of stupid(?) and had unprotected sex a couple of times in between the pills and a bit after the second pill. Bleeding occurred a week later--figured everything was fine. Since then, experiencing off and on very light spotting.. exhausted.. nauseated.. weird lower abdominal (central) pain when walking very much.. and a small lump in the lower (central) abdomen.. A pregnancy test in early april was negative.. any thoughts? %-)

WELL, PREGNANCY TESTS ARE NOT POSITIVELLY EFFECTIVE UNTIL ABOUT 4 OR 5 WEEKS LATER...
I DOUBT THAT LUMP IS ANYTHING BUT PARANOIA BUT USE MORE THAN ONE PREGNANCY FOR A MORE COMPLETE UNDERSTANDING OF UR STATUS, BECAUSE ONE PREGNANCY TEST IS NOT EFFICIENT ALONE

I realize this may be the same question that's been asked over and over, but I do have a little bit of an issue:

On May 27th, I started my last period, and it lasted 4 days. My periods have never been consistent, predictable, or regular in my life. On June 3rd, my husband and I had unprotected sex, thinking it was close enough to when my period ended to do it. The next day, I felt really strange (and frankly, very pregnant although I know it's impossible that I could have already been pregnant at that point), so I took Plan B. For the next 3 days, I felt a whole bunch of other pregnancy symptoms (tender swollen breasts, nausea, headaches, increased appetite, mood swings), so I took a pregnancy test at a clinic. The test was negative. Five days later (8 days after taking Plan B), I started cramping heavily, and the next day I experienced what I could only describe as light continuous bleeding, which only lasted a day. Now, a lot of my pregnancy symptoms are gone, but my anxiety is through the roof. I took another test last night and it was negative again. Since my period has always been so erratic, I have no idea when to expect it, so I have no idea when I'm going to be late.

Does any of this sound normal at all? Does it sound like the bleeding was implantation bleeding or a light period? Help!

Sorry for the double post. I don't know how to delete posts I've made...

I went to this pharmacy to get myself morning after pills after i've had sex for the first time with my boyfriend the night before and they've asked me to choose the type of morning after pills that i want i.e one is for the "regular" one and another type is for "emergency" purpose(which is the type that contains 2pills in one package) and i've chosen the "regular" one because i actually had a protected sex but i was thinking of taking the pills as a security(as i've heard that condoms DO break!). Then they just gave me a package containing 21 pills which are to be taken "regularly" for 21 days. What's actually the difference between those 2 types of morning after pills? And should i take those pills continuously for 21 days since this post has been advising not to take them on regular basis? To what extent will it affect my period?