Hi, folks. My little cousin has been diagnosed with poliomyelitis. All I know that this is caused by polio virus, but I don’t know the pathophysiology of this disease. How a virus can cause paralysis? This is something that has never been clear to me. I hope someone will know how to explain me this.

hi! baudoin72 ,poliomyelitis is a disease of the anterior horn motor neurons of the spinal cord and brain stem caused by poliovirus.caused by small ribonucleic acid (RNA) viruses of the enterovirus group of the picornavirus family. 

Poliomyelitis is an acute, viral, infectious disease which can be easily spread from one person to another and this is usually happening trough fecal oral route. It has been proven that 90% of polio infections cause no symptoms at all but affected person can exhibit a range of symptoms if the virus enters the blood stream and this is what has happened to your cousin.

In only 1 % of the cases this virus enters nervous system and when this happens it is resulting in paralysis and different types of paralysis can occur. This depends on the nerves which are affected by the virus. I hope that this was helpful and that answer has helped you to better understand the way virus can cause paralysis.