My family and I are due to make a trip to India at the end of next month. We are very excited, but I am slightly worried because I have been told that poliomyelitis is still endemic in India. Can anyone inform me of the most common symptoms of poliomyelitis? I'd like to know if we come into contact with poliomyelitis sufferers!

The most common symptoms is in fact - none at all! Over 90 per cent of those infected with the poliomyelitis (polio) virus never get any symptoms at all. Polio symptoms occur only if the virus enters the blood stream, and those whose central nervous system has been affected can become paralysed, which is why polio is such a feared disease. Are you and your family fully vaccinated against poliomyelitis? I don't normally push vaccines, but if I were to visit India or one of the other three countries where polio is still a pandemic, it would be my priority to ensure my vaccines were in order.