Hi, guys. My son has been diagnosed with polymyositis. In order to establish the 100% accurate diagnosis, his doctor wants to perform a biopsy. I was wondering if this can be avoided by using some other, less painful, method like mri. Can anyone answer me this? I hope someone will. Thanks.

I have had 2 biopsies on my thighs .First one to determine that I had Polymyositis ,this back in 2011 .Second one ,2 years ago to tell me that the inflamation had gone but now have Inclusion Body Myositis that concentrates on thigh muscles.I have to be extremely careful moving around as I can loose balance all too quickly and fall .Where is the problem with a biopsy .It's fairly quick and simple .I was taken off Prednisone 2 years ago and am now on Mycophenolate 2000 mlgs per day .I have ivig every 4 weeks .( Flebbe Gamma .)which costs close to $14,000 a time .Thanks to our health system here in Australia ,it costs me nothing .I am awaiting trials on this disease to start and the Professor that looks after me is including me in this .I believe trials are being conducted in Paris with some hope on the horison.I am almost 78 years old and thankfully only about 50 in my head .. Good luck .