Hi there! I was told to get immodium in order to ease my bowel movents, or it would be better to say to strengthen them. Anyway, I am supposed to take this drug every day and was wondering if there were any long term effects of immodium. All replies welcome!!!

Hello! I sure hope there aren’t any as I’ve been on Imodium for 2 years now. An I haven’t noticed any intolerant effects, and am very satisfied with the medicine.

I take 2 Imodium pills a day, and have for about 15 years for IBS, I also have Macular Degeneration. Any connection ?

I have taken 1 pill a day for almost 10 years.

I feel like I am addicted to it, because if I don't take one, I feel the urge to go to the bathroom constantly.

I an concerned about the long term effects on my gums.
I was having my teeth cleaned yesterday and the dentist was surprised at my receding gums. This was the first time that he has mentioned that.
Anyone else with that side effect?

It is very difficult to actually get addicted to Immodium so I am a little surprised that you are actually addicted to it. I suppose that it is possible to get addicted to anything but I am a little surprised. And as far as I know, it's also not possible to get receding gums with it either. Very odd. I hope that you are able to get a solution to your problem.

I couldn’t live my life with out Imodium, I don't care if it’s an opiate or not. I love the stuff. I’ve been taking three pills every morning for years. It keeps me regular. I’m just writing here to let everyone know that you can get the generic at Costco. You get 400 of the 2mg pills for around 6 bucks. It works just the same. And will save you a lot of money. 8-|

Dude, I totally just started taking imodium last week because I have been having increasing frequency of needing to go to the bathroom.

Since I've been taking 1 x 2mg tab at night everything seems fixed. I've been looking for something that would fix my problem and if this is the answer I will happily take it everyday. I'm pretty sure if I stopped I would be back to the bathroom too.

Been reading heaps of these posts and I dont think we have to worry until were up to 20+ tabs a day. These peeps have definite opiate addictions and probably have been or are currently addicted to many other things too.

Happy imodium :-)

Hi I was wondering what I should do? I have to take 4-5 Imodium every morning just so I don't have to live on the toilet! I had a colonoscopy and she said I was healthy. I sure don't feel healthy having to take that many meds just to live a normal day. Any advise? Anyone else taking this many a day? Thanks for any feedback!

A standard colonoscopy will not detect microscopic colitis, which causes frequent diarrhea. Your GI doctor needs to take biopsies. It could also be Celiac Disease. I have both.

Seriously, I have been taking 13 immodium every other day for over 15 years and am probably addicted.....

Yes hollybake, I take 5-7 pills daily 6 times a week. I try to vary my days off of not takin these pills. I also have to watch what I eat, like corn or chocolate milk I usually will do on my weekends off, lmao. As I live on the toilet after such things. I have been takin anti diaherra pills for almost 20 yrs now with very lil problem because of IBS since birth. Hope this helps

actually you can become addicted to it. it is an opiate and has the same chemical make up of fentanyl. you can withdrawl from it just like any other substance.

YES, I TAKE 4 A DAY AND BAD DAYS i TAKE 5 IT IS THE ONLY MEDICINE I'VE FOUND TO STOP MY DIARRHEA!

I take 2 a day for over a year I'm fine, anxiety made me get the runs ,I was always looking for a bathroom now I feel less stressed.