I am 24yr old male. I am getting married this friday!
I usually take 15mg of methotrexate per week. I've been on methotrexate for a year and a half. I have drank on average two beers per occasion every other week or so for several months now...all liver function tests have always been great. I was supposed to take my weekly mtx dose today. I really would like to have some alcohol for my bachelor's party this wednesday, so i am considering skipping the mtx for this week. I know that there is a long half-life for mtx...but i figured it would be best for my liver to skip the mtx for a week.

What are the ramifications of missing the meds for a week?

Is there considerable danger of liver damage in I have six or seven beers on wednesday?

I am not asking for permission to start being irresponsible on a regular basis--just this once.

Most likely you will be OK, but alcohol and MTX on a regular basis are a no-no. Congrats, and many happy years!

What do people find to be tolerable ?
I would like a glass of wine with a meal (but not within the two days either side of the MTX day) however even one glass has my stomach churning.
My father has been on MTX for approx 20 years and drinks moderately with no side effects - he is now 78.
Is this goodbye to St Emillion ?

I am 39 years old and have recently diagnosed RA - I am on Methotrexate. I have been trying to adhere to the 1-2 beverages and week guideline but I have noticed that the alcoholic beverage affects me more (e.g. one drink feels like three).
Is this normal?

my 34 yr old husband has been on mtx for 5 years. over the last 2 years he has increased his alcohol intake to approx 24 beers a week!
he does not seem to recognize this as a problem. his doctor allowed him occasional drinking, but i dont think he meant THAT much.
any advice??

I have done a lot of research about the Methotrexate and alcohol

in summery, lots of studies proved that the risk of liver toxicity in patients undergoing long-term, low-dose methotrexate therapy is substantial, and that risk increases with the total cumulative dose and with heavy consumption of alcohol. Heavy users of alcohol should not receive long-term methotrexate therapy. For most patients who are not heavy users of alcohol, liver biopsies should be done periodically to monitor for the occurrence of liver toxicity.

I hope you know what i mean
Joe

I've been on 17.5 mg of MTX for 7mnths. I have a good friend who is a Professor of gastroenterology at Kings College and he studies livers and liver damage every day of the week. He told me that the whole no alcohol with Methotrexate issue is just scaremongering, as the chance of liver damage through reasonable alcohol use was extremely unlikely.

Most Rhuematoid Docs don't understand liver toxicity only joint inflamation. They take the safe low alcohol advice option to cover thier backsides, just in case one of thier patients is the unlucky 1 in 1000 who gets some Liver disease.

A few beers at a party and a few drinks through the week won't do you any harm at all.

But remember - good liver function on a blood test means nothing as blood tests can't monitor actual liver damage - only biopsies can do that.

Cheers - mines a pint

The half-life of methotrexate is 3-10 hours. Therefore, if you conservatively assume a half-life of 12 hours, only 25% of the methotrexate would remain after one day, 1/16 after two days, and less than one-half of 1% after four days. Therefore, a reasonable plan is to not drink any alcohol for the first four full days after taking methotrexate, but to drink 1-2 glasses of wine/beer per evening on the 5th and 6th day.

I would definitely disagree with this particular argument. The half life of the drug in tge body is not what is in question; what you are worried about here is the length of the effects of the drug

I have found out for MYSELF, now 4 weeks into 15mgs of Methotrexate that if I over do it.... it ends in "Violently Ill," aka projectile vomit and diarrhea simultaneously. This is JUST if I go over board. Mind you, you're probably like myself, in that I already feel nausa ALL the time so drinking really isn't such an interest anymore.. My body tends to be my alcohol monitor. Just LISTEN to it. LOL

On 2omgs for 6 months. Drinking 20 btls of beer a day. no side effects at all. 42 yr old male.

do you mean 20 bottles of beer or two????

God I hope he means 2.....

I was wondering if anyone knew when it would be safe to start drinking alcohol again after stopping Methotrexate.

I've been taking it for 12 weeks, past 5 weeks dose has been increased to 10mg once a week. 

I've stopped taking the tablets it's currently been 9 days since my last dose.

Just looking some info on when anyone would think it would be safe to drink alcohol again, at least anything from 6+ pints.

I was taking 10 mg of mtx for five years, after being a drunk for twenty- After 30 days of stopping the mtx, I became a drinker again for five years- approx 10 beers a day- Now I am going back on the mtx- so much immflamation, and to O'Duhls NA , as well. I guess it has a small amount of alcohol. but it got me through the last time.