Q. Can a antibiotic for MRSA cause pain across the upper stomach and heartburn type pain, in the back, 5 months after you finished taking it??

I've just been diagnosed with gastric mucosal abnormality characterized by erythema and hiatus hernia. For over 15 yrs. I was diagnosed with IBS and taking Prevacid. End of Sept. 08 had MRSA. First given an antibiotic by IV and after diagnosis given a very strong antibiotic that caused extreme stomach pain. Now I have pain constantly in the stomach area & recently heartburn type pain in left side of back spreading over to right side and type of food does and doesn't make a difference. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello! I am having the SAME problem as you. I was diagnosed with H. Pylori last year, and after finishing the medication have been having severe stomach pains....8months later. Now I've been diagnosed with gastric mucosal abnormality characterized by erythema. Did you get any results, or find out anything? I would love to steer my Dr.'s in the right direction to get rid of this pain!! thanks for the help!

I had an upper GI endoscopy procedure performed yesterday. The preliminary report says "Gastric mucosal abnormality characterized by erythema. Biopsied.

After reading your topic review it made me think. I too have had back paid, heartburn and yet nothing other than this has shown on my report. I will be anxious to get the biopsy back and see if anything was picked up. I will report back. I was beginning to think I have been imaging the pain.

I am 38yrs old, in my teen yrs till I was 31 i had severe stomache pain, my MD at the time said i had an ulcer , so for the lomngest time i took Carafate . I became pregnant with my 3rd in 97 and the pain just kept getting worse. In 2001 I had my gallbladder removed with over 14 gallstones . The pain went away for awhile , then came back. I ended up in Er 2 dys ago and they tested for pancreatic , Kindey Stones and Intestional blockage , everything came back normal , so they sent me home with Carafate and pain meds. Today I had my upper GI and it came back with no signs of an Ulcer but they Biopsied an gastric mucosal abnormality characterized by erythema . So no Im waiting those results. I live in Pain daily . The only thing that makes the pain go away for me , is to force myself to Vomit...But Im constantly hungry....

I am 31 and just had an endoscopy a few days ago. The finding said "gastric mucosal abnormality characterized by erythema," which I am understanding to mean that basically the esophagus had some redness or irritation. The doc biopsied it but didn't seem to be concerned at all. No strictures or anything else unusual. I have a funny manifestation of my acid reflux which is that I have pain in my back--midline to shoulder blades. I try to strech to alleviate the pain but it doesn't really work. It's not terriblly painful just annoying. Could this be cancer in the esophagus or just esophagitis?

Just had an upper endoscopy done and my story is just like yours. Severe pain. on several types of medicines but nothing seems to work. it's like this pain has consumed my life

I am 44 and just had an endoscopy this morning. The finding said "gastric mucosal abnormality characterized by erythema," as well... I have pain in my back--midline to shoulder blades too and stetching doesn't seem to help... however, I believe this is all a diret result to a foreign object I swallowed while eating.... I felt it in my mouth but was swallowing and couldn't stop it from going down.... I had SEVER pain for about 24 hours going down my esophagus until it finally passed with some food and lots of pain medicine... then I had a nose bleed and then sever pain i my back.... now the pain is just this nagging feeling in my left backleft back by my shoulder blades... I thought the foreign bject was lodged causing this feeling...but they couldn't find anything.... why this feeling still???? I don't think this has anything to do with cancer... but this foreign object I swallowed..... anyone else have this happen to them???? or can offer some advice?

After upper endoscopy, I, too have this diagnosis as well as hiatal hernia. My attacks are totally random, sometimes a year apart, sometimes as close as a week, are completely over after24 hrs, and are severe bloating, violent vomitting of chyme with stomach cramp followed by diarreah. Been living with this for about 15 years. In between attacks I live and eat a normal life. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I think I need a support group. Doc wants a CAT scan DURING an attack.

Same issues here -- gastric mucosal abnormmality, hiatus hernia, normal biopsies, ongoing pain/nausea. I am now doing acupuncture which I think has helped a little but I'm not sure I can afford to continue and taking anxiety medications through a psychiatrist, and I'm going to go do some relaxation training in case it is all stress related.

I'm curious -- I'm female and 39. I had a baby just before I turned 38. Is everyone here female and in the 35-45 range? I have my suspicions about hormonal things.

I also went to a pulmonologist about the chest pain and found that I over breathe (lung capacity was 115%) rather than that I had any obstructions. She said this can also cause chest pain. So if I have stomach pain and then get anxious (my mom died of a GI hemorrhage but I think it was drinking related), then I over breathe and get chest pain potentially too.

It's all very confusing and hard to deal with. Please post any results or other ideas you have.

I had an upper GI endoscopy today and I too was diagnosed with hiatus hernia-gastric mucosal abnormality characterized by erythema-biopsied. I have also had random attacks over the past 20 years, that are sometimes years, months, or weeks apart. Sometimes I have had 3 attacks in one week. These attacks general wakes me up in the wee hours of the morning with stomach cramping, sometimes vomiting and diarrehea. I have actually had such a bad attack, I have gone to the emergency room via rescue squad. By the time I was seen the pain and systems left and I was sent home without any treatment or test.

I just received diagnosis of this and have to see Doctor. But for those of you above. You may have Barretts Esophagus. I take Nexium 2x a day. It has helped. Better than other drugs like prilosec or aciphex. Also eating a yogurt 3-4x a week alleviates any stomach paid I have had.

I am 50 and in my mid 30's, I had my 1st attack with the belching, nausea, ebbing pain in the mid back area that was constant but would get worse and then ease up a bit. Happened about 5-6 hours after eating a highly rich meal.

Since then, I have had more attacks of this same thing. About 10 years ago went through every test a GI can order. Nothing. Scoped both ends. Nothing. So, I said thanks, have a nice day and left. 4 years ago, during a highly stressful period of my life, I had another attack. The doc was thinking gallstones, called and rushed down for the blood test. Negative.

This past Dec., I had another attack...this time after a very rich meal a friend made for a party we hosted. Why do these attacks always happen in the middle of the night????????

So....made an appt with a new GI doc. A younger one. Took his time with me. Ordered my past medrecs. Ordered a ton of blood work. Ordered a scope, both ends. Finds the Gastric mucosal abnormality and does the biopsy. Have not received results yet. Might come today in the mail. I have a follow-up appt later in March. During the blood work they found I had been exposed to HepC sometime in my lifetime. PLEASE DO NOT BE ALARMED - THIS IS A SEPARATE ISSUE FROM THE STOMACH ISSUE - My husband is the likely source as he has been battling HepC since 2001 having been exposed while in Vietnam during the 60's.

It was interesting to find others who have this same diagnosis after an endoscope. I wonder if there is any correlation with my middle of the night attacks. I've thought for a long time I have an ulcer somewhere, because I have alot of stress related issues due to my husbands health.

Hmmmmmm.......will be interested to see what the biopsy found.
Seriously, I hope it's something tangible. At least then I will know what I'm dealing with rather than continuing to have these extremely painful attacks.

I went in for an endo because it seems as though I have Celiac. It started after the birth of my son and I had a c so I am not sure if scar tissue is relevant. I have noticed a gluten free diet helps!!!!!! Please please look into this for yourself. After some time I notice I have more energy, no pain... and then when I eat gluten I have issues...seems simple enough but this has all been through my own dianosis...one blood test said yes, the other no... I also have low vit d...so anyway, I begged for the endo in hopes it gives me a better understanding..I am not having infertility issues which I understand happenes with Celiac. ANyway, I just wanted to write and encourage all of you to try a Gluten Free Diet & see how it goes (there is actually a book. gluten free for dummies...that was so helpful
:-)

In January, a scope discovered gastric mucosal abnormality by erythema. I too suffered back pains. After taking Nexum 1x per day for two months, the throat felt better, but my back continued to hurt.

Last week, I started taking MiraLAX 1x per day. The back pain has slowly started to go away. I don't know if MiraLAX played a role or if the timing was just right, but I wanted to pass this information to others.

I had an endoscopy done this morning. I was told I have schatzki ring, hiatus hernia, gastric mucosal (biopsied) and duodenum (biopsied) Ive been experiencing the feeling of food being stuck in my throat and back. Yes, I know the back comment is odd but that is what it feels like. The only way to relieve any of it is to either make myself vomit or lay down. I have been taking Prilosec but it isnt really helping. The GI doc gave me Aciphex and I am to take 2 a day. My sister has celiacs so he is testing me for that as well. i go back in 3 weeks for a follow up. TO be honest, I am a little upset there wasnt something "significant' found. I was and still kind of am, convinced that there is food getting stuck in my back! I burp up pills and food whole. The last couple of days, I have been burping up what looks like foam, just in big amounts! I am only 28 yrs old and feel like I am falling apart! Has anyone on here who were diagnosed with any of my symptoms, have any advice?
Thanks!