I have to say that I have never seen my friend that worried. It looks like his mother suffers from scleroderma lupus and I just cannot make my friend talk about it. It does seem like a very serious matter, so I would like you to tell me what is exactly going on? Can his mother be helped?

I think that survival rate for this illness is about 80% percent, but unfortunately that goes only for 5 years top. And I guess that is a good reason for your friend’s worries. The cause of this condition is more or less unknown and its main symptom is hardened skin due to accumulated amounts of collagen. And at one point that will affect heart, kidneys, lungs…

Hello there,

Unfortunately your friend is worried because he has more than one good reason. This condition is very serious and as kaye has already mentioned life expectancy is not that high. You should be a good friend and talk with your friend because he will need all the support he can get at this moment. Also since this is autoimmune disease, and this means that immune system is attacking healthy tissue and the organs of the body by mistake, it is very likely that after some time your friend’s mother condition is going to get worse.

The therapy is medications, usually anti-inflammatory, and treating the current cause of the problem but the problems and complications tend to get worse.