Hello. I'm 34 year old male and I'm very worried about my mother’s present health state.
You see, I believe these last ten years she had different problems with her neck spine, but just recently it really got serious.
Doctor told me that she has developed some lateral intervertebral disc herniation or spondylosis and that only operation could be helpful now.
Operation is called posterior cervical hemilaminectomy and I was just wondering does anybody know anything about it and about recovery time after it. Are there any post-op unwanted things that could happen?

My brother has had this operation done about three years ago and I will tell you some facts from his experience.
I don’t know a lot about this operation but I know that is a well-described and effective procedure for the treatment of this condition you’ve described. I remember that doctor was telling something about how this operation is very difficult to perform because of small surgical field and because it may potentially exacerbate a preexisting radiculopathy or increase intraoperative blood loss. But you shouldn’t think about this.
My brother’s operation was very successful and post operative time was filled with satisfaction. He just needed to rest for some days and use pain killers. Pain that was killing him before was gone for good!

I had my herniated cervical discs fused with plastic and titanium five weeks ag (c-5,C-6, C-7) I stopped taking any pain medication a few days after the operation and the strongest thing I took for a couple of weeks was Aleve. After that, nothing (though I do go to an accupuncturist who has really helped me in my recovery. By the way, my accupuncturist was a great help before my surgery. He really helped me control my pain as I waited for my operation.

I got over the difficutly in swallowing thing very quickly. I actually ate a haumburger without any difficutly, five days after my surgery (God, it was good). I don't wear a brace--only when I'm in moving vehicle. My pain is gone. However, I still feel some tingling and numbness in my hands. Is this normal? I know it's only been five weeks so I'm not sure. Also, My left shoulder is sore (and so is my left arm). I wouldn't call it pain (hell, I know what that's like and this doesn't qualify as pain). Maybe the soreness in my shoulder is normal. What's interesting though was that my pain was on my right side before the surgery. Anybody out there have any advice for me about the tingling. It worries me.

My bro had this operation. It took 2 years to recuperate fully from his surgery, and 3 years (one additional year) for him to regain strngth in his arm. He probably should have had the operation sooner to avoid the slight nerve damage he now has to live with. His arm is a little bit weaker than it should be.

I don't think his experience is normal, but it is true that it takes time to recover from nerve damage/compression.