Hello! My husband is about to have a cervical laminectomy tomorrow and I would like to know what happens after the surgery and how does the recovering go? Has anybody experienced the surgery? Thank you in advance!

Hi there! I had a laminectomy last May. Everything went smooth with the operation, it’s just that after I experienced some neck pain. But the doctors said that the pain is common after this kind of surgery and they gave me some pain killers. Before the surgery they gave me some antibiotics in order to avoid infection of the wound. I went out of the hospital 3 days after the surgery but I was off work for 2 weeks. I hope everything will go as smooth for your husband. Wish him good luck!

I just had a laminectomy 3 weks ago and am walking around. I have no neck pain regarding that I had cervical spondylosis with 4 herniated disks. I am only 34 but was very active with weight training. I expect full recovery in 3 months. (hopefully) the only problem I have is not being able to raise my arms or have any decent range of motion with my arms. everything else feels okay. I did have sharp muscle spasms after the surgery and it was hard to get out of bed cause my trap muscles were cut. walking does help with circulation.

NY, NY

I had cervical laminectomy 7 years ago. Since that time I have experienced very few problems. Occasionally My neck will get stiff - but this is if I forget to do my exercises specifically designed to keep the area lubricated. Also I will occasionally get a tingling sensation at the base of my neck which scares me somewhat but I am assured this is not anything to worry about. I still have numbness in my thumb and sometimes have an achy feeling in my bicept muscle area. None of this is nearly as difficult as the pain and suffering I went through for 3 months while conservative treatment of physical therapy, steroids,etc. were tried in order to avoid the surgery. I stayed in the hospital one night and went Christmas shopping 2 days after the surgery. The worst part of the entire thing was having to wear a neck brace for 6 weeks and being limited in my ability to pick up things (nothing heavier than a teacup for the first 2 weeks). I hope all have as good results as I had.

I had cervical fusion done 3 days ago. C4-C5 thru C6-C7. In 8 weeks I am suppose to have lumbar surgery. But right now my hands hurt so bad, much worse than ever before. The throbbing is excruating. If anthing touches my fingers it is very painful. And my feet are numb and tingling so even trying to walk is very difficult. I have fallen down 4 times since I came home.Actually my hands feel like they have been frozen. Dr said this will ease up in a few days. But for right now my hand is wrapped in a heating pad to ease this pain. I am a phlebotomist (blood drawer) I can not even hold a cup of coffee at this point. I am usually not a complainer, which is part of the reason I waited far to long to get the surgery done. And my old Dr kept saying I had fibromyalgia for a couple of yrs. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Debbie

I had a cervical laminectomy done two days ago. It was an outpatient procedure and they went in through the back of my neck. I am sore and stiff but doing pretty well. I have been resting which is really difficult for me. I just took my first shower and saw the incision by using a mirror. Not bad at all. I am able to get up and down by myself but my thumb and first two fingers on my left hand are still numb. The doctor said that might happen for a few days. Overall, I am doing really well.

I had a cervical laminectomy from C2 through C7 in March 2007. After five days in the hospital, I was transferred to the hospital rehabilitation wing where I resided for 2 1/2 weeks. I had numbness in both thumbs and index fingers. A week after the surgery, I could not lift my left arm and an MRI showed spinal fluid leakage. That resolved in a week although there is still weakness in the left deltoid muscle. It is three months after the surgery and I still have a lot of pain in my neck and hands. My doctor says it could take up to a year for full recovery.

I had been having walking problems for 2 years, and a laminectomy was decided on. A pre-op test indicated a need for a double bypas, so that was done fitst. after 4 months i had a multi-level laminectomy with multiple vertebrae. Everything went smoothly, with no pain at any time . I was hospitalized for 10 days, including the start of rehab physical therapy. The walking and balance were the only problems i had, and I am told that the full recovery can take up to 12-18 months I have already noticed some improvement, using the treadmill, and still have no pain at all.. Also no movement limitation.

Had this surgery last week. The worst pain of my life! Do NOT do it!! Overdosing on pain meds. Different symptoms AGONIZING! Don't do it!!!

I had a cervical fusion at C5-C7 with cadavar bone, plate and screws. I had this surgery in April. It's now the end of July and I continue to have headaches, neck pain plus more radiating arm pain that is extremely painful. I've had two myelograms (a procedure I consider to be barbaric at best), 3 MRIs and 2 CAT scans.

I'm wondering if others out there have experienced radiating arm pain post surgery and what the outcome was.

I'm getting to the point where I can't stand the pain anymore! >:(

-----

Went back to my neurosurgeon last week and said that I would need another surgery to reinforce the fusion. This time they will go in posteriorly and use something he referred to as a "cage". I've already missed 3 months of work and now this. If I had to do it over again, I would definitely NOT have the surgery. I would suck it up and just live with it. The cure has definitely been sorse than the original "disease".

I had C5-C7 fused 10 years ago. The doctor went in through the front (the scar is in a wrinkle - not noticable). He used cadavar bone, plate and screws. It was the easiest surgery I have ever had. (unfortunately, I've had alot) The recovery was explained very well to me. They told me going in that I would not have immediate pain relief. I was having massive migraines on an almost daily basis. The pain got better a little bit at a time. By one year, it was a dramatic difference. Anyone having the surgery should understand that it takes time to get the relief. The only thing I would do different is not wait so long to do it.
Make sure you have a good surgeon and have realistic expectations is my advice. :-)

In Dec. of 2007 I had a serious fall hitting the front part of my head , getting over 30 stitches to close the head wound, and the fall brusied my cervical spine. While x-rays and MRI's were taken the Doctors discovered that I had SPINAL STENOSIS. I was in the hospital for 4 days . I was not released until I could walk fairly well on my own
Three weeks later a laminectomy was performed. The pain after the operation was minimal because of the introveinous pain meds. I was in the hopital for 1 week. When I was discharged my mobility was about 50%. I had weakness in my arms and legs. After some in home PT I gradually regained most of my mobility. I still have some tenderness in both my arms along with slight weakness. I still cant lift heavy objects and have some tingleing in my calves and toes There is also stiffness in laderal movement in my neck. Its about 8 months after the surgery and I am gradually getting back to normal

I'm 40 and was in very good shape prior to the surgery. I had the surgery at c6-c7 8 days ago. I had the surgery in the morning and was released the next afternoon. The surgical pain was nothing compared to the pain I had been experiencing for the previous 3 months waiting to have the surgery. I've got a little stiffness in my neck from the surgery, but all pain in my shoulder and arm is gone. I still have a little numbness in my index finger. I started walking around the neighborhood the following Tuesday and riding the recumbent bike on Wednesday.

I meet with the surgeon for the initial post-surgery consultation and am hoping he says I can continue to exercise and begin working with weights in the very near future. We'll see...

I am 36 and in the same boat you were in before your surgery. I am completely terrified, though. My biggest fear is the recovery time. I have been researching other people's recovery time but I couldn't get a gage on anyone's age, which I think is a big part of recovery. How long did it take you to assume your normal tasks, such as work? I am trying to schedule my appointments and tasks within a realistic time frame. I appreciate your advice.

Thank You,

Chandra

PLEASE, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN I CAN DO NORMAL ACTIVITIES, SINCE MY FUSION. ONE WEEK OLD. C4-5 with plate