My husband had surgery March 11 and had a large chunck of disc removed to relieve pressure on the spinal nerve that was causing pain and numbness in his right arm. Since the surgery, he has had "stinging" in his neck and across his shoulder. He can only stay on his feet for a maximum of 8-10 minutes before the stinging recurs. Has anyone else had this problem and how long did it last? The muscle relaxers and pain meds only help a little. When this stinging starts, the only way to relieve it is for him to sit in a reclining position. ANy thoughts orr ideas? :-|

HI I am not a doctor but a person who has/had similar condition. I had the same problems with the tingling in the arms and fingers. I had the surgery and for the most part things seems like they are healing well. Have you contacted the Surgeon /Neurologist I assumed that did the work? Sound like he needs additional testing to find out what the problem really is. Did you get any of the MRI /CT/X-Ray reports.. most of this is available on disk /with the report. If necessary you can go to another Neurologist for a second opinion to determine what is wrong.

You need to do this ASAP.. as something is wrong. and by the time you get a MD appointment and then approval for the test(s) it may be a good month or more. The man is is PAIN.. and it needs to be corrected.. Call that Dr up and have him get you in ASAP. This could be life threatening.

Please let up know how it turns out.

I had a posterior cervical lamenectomy the end of March, for ten days after surgery I had little discomfort using an occasional tylenol. I work up one moring feeling like I had an ear infection and severe stinging pain where the neck joins the shoulder. It felt like someone had ripped out a chunk of skin and muscle, very painful, the pain meds were of little help. I went to my doctor, no ear infection however I was having muscle spasms and was told to use my muscle relaxers. I did and they didn't seem to help. A few days later I notice I had swelling on my right foot. Went to the doctor again and was put on an antibiotic. Within two days the severe stinging pain in the neck/shoulder was gone! Could it be an infection? My neuro thinks not, but what a coinsidence.

I had a posterior cervical lamenectomy C3-C7 Aug. 08. I have been struggling with pain a discomfort after the surgery. I have two rods and ten screws along with bone fusions through out. My kids call me chicken neck, being unable to hold my head back in a normal position now and my neck movement is very little. I'm always in pain and if standing or walking I can only last a few hours before having to sit down in a reclined position to get relief. I have recently started getting a pain shooting down my neck and stinging warm feeling in my shoulder area. I feel your pain and think this will be an ongoing pain. I find myself having to hold my head up if I've been up too long. I'm now having injections in my neck to try and relieve some of the pain but, just a temp. fix........... :'(

Can anybody help me to understand my current options. I had a C5/6 ACDF with anterior screw and plate fixation in February 2009 after 5 years of pain, burning and loss of strength in both arms. Prior to this i had carpal tunnel decompression.

My symptoms never resolved and I continue to deteriorate. I cannot manage a full week at work due to the severe pain and inability to keep my head up.

Recent mri and CT results say:At this level there is severe bilateral bony foraminal stenosis from posterior marginal osteophyte mainly from unconventional degeneration.

At C6/7 there is mild foraminal narrowing on the right but none elsewhere.

The neursurgeon wants to talk about surgery through the back of my neck.

My GP says I will continue to deteriortate if I do not have the surgery but I was promised improvement after the last proceedure and had none.

Please advise

Remmie

Hello - I am 53 and 2 years ago had Posterior Lamenectomy at C6-C7 to just remove a small piece of Lamina for nerve decompression. 2 years earlier, I had a severe disc rupture at C6-C7 with sever arm pain and weakness for 6 solid weeks! Although I recovered very well with no surgery initially, I had another fire up of arm pain 2 years later that was as bad as the first! About 6 months after recovering from that, I began to have tingling and numbness in my fingers without pain. My surgeon recommended surgery (ACDF) or a lamenotomy to decompress the nerve and mentioned that I likely had some degree of nerve damage from those two episodes. Since I am very active physically (I cycle 30 miles a week and work out regularly), I opted for the posterior lamenotomy to avoid the fusion. Post surgery I experienced severe burning and stinging in my upper back where my neck meets my back (very close to the surgery site). This did subside after about a month or two but has not completely gone away 2 years later. When I cut my grass or walk a long distance I experience this burning and stinging (although not as bad as post surgery). My surgeon calls it post lamenectomy syndrome. My arm symptoms are gone but I still get the stinging when walking or using my arms by holding them up. I can get relief by sitting back and resting my upper back and shoulders. I am back to cycling and working out and am plenty strong but still deal with the annoying stinging when using my arms.

The problem with Cervical Lamenectomies is going through the large muscle group in the back of the neck. Nerve damage can also occur. The anterior surgery (ACDF) site is very soft and fleshy and you get less trauma from the surgery site. Although, you have to deal wth the issues that can come from fusion, like future disc issues at other levels!

I hope this helps someone.

Mike

Mike,
Quite coincidental. My name is also Mike and I basically have the exact same story! Seriously, it's like I wrote this. I even cycle regularly and work out. It's been over 5 years for me and I still have the severe stinging and burning when I walk more than a mile or use my arms when elevated. My riding mower is always painful. I think if I knew this, I would have gone with the ACDF procedure. My surgeon was one of he best in MD yet never mentioned this possible risk.
Mike