I was in a car accident in October 2010. Flown to a trauma center in center city Philadelphia. I had a disectomy done in March 2011, fusing c-4,c-5, and c-6 in my neck. I had the procedure done after trying other methods to eliviate the pain, and getting a 2nd opinion. I had 2 herniated discs, c-5 and c-6. I'm 3 weeks out of surgery and still can't swallow food without it caught in my throat. I choke on my own saliva and can't drink water with out choking. My surgeon said that would go away in 6-12 months. I feel a lump in my troat. I went and got another opionion. I'm told my airway has been compomised. I went back to the hospital and they took video of me swallowing whole foods and drinking liquids. The results showed liquids leaking down the wrong pipe and going directly into my chest. They ordered a chest ex-ray to see how much if any liquid was in my chest, luckily it showed nothing. I also started to cough up green and yellow mucus and started to run a low grade fever. My surgeon sent me to my family Dr. for antibiotics, because they state I might have a respatory infection (nothing related to surgery of course).

Has anyone one else experienced the same symtoms as me or does anyone have any recommendations for me :-D

Thank you,

Tburt

you had aspiration pneumonia--   and will probably have it many more times in the future

Hi there...I had 3 level cervical fusion done in Sept. and am having trouble with swallowing and was told that it is all normal and just has to "settle". My neck in the front gets very tight, constricted, and I choke on my vitamins some days, other days I am fine. I am praying that it will all settle soon. I am praying that no damage has been done. Everything looks good on xray and I can hold my head up so I am thanking God for that. Praying for TOTAL healing and restoration to come. Will keep praying for your healing as well. God Bless. :)

I have the same thing, had my c3-4 removed with a fusion started choking 5 days after surgery. went back to surgery at 4 weeks. He really had no answers for me except telling me to go to speech therphy for them to teach me how to swollow. I was like what i dont have a problem talking. I went to a ert doctor. He did a throat study on me and was determined that i still have swollening and i have an appointment this tuesday with the speech therphy. I was never told about these side effects at all