Hello. I'm 47 year old male and almost four years I'm suffering from really strong neck pain. My doctor first told me that one spinal vertebra is cracked a bit and that this is causing some nerve compression and pain.
He thought that the pain will go away by it self but it didn’t. So, few days back he scheduled me for some spine fusion surgery. The operation should be done in a week.
I'm not afraid of operation or anything, but I would really like to hear more about recoup after operation.
How long will it take to heal and for me to recover completely?

Hi. I have had this operation done last year and I will tell you some facts from personal experience.
I've had big problems with my lower back spine because some central part of these vertebras was ruined and only fusion could help me.
For me, the worst after operation problem is pain. It was almost unbearable. Fortunately, there are excellent methods of postoperative pain control available, including oral pain medications and intravenous injections that I was been injected with. Never mind this- you should know that recovery following fusion surgery is generally longer than for other types of spinal surgery. You will be under close supervision because doctors must be sure that there is evidence of bone healing.
Soon after operation you could have problems with positions of lying or sitting, or even simple breathing, but it will be just a temporary thing.

I had a fusion done on the L4L5 . Five months ago and I am still in so much pain I am due to have my c6 c 7 fusion done but I am so afraid . Can anybody tell me how long it takes for a fusion to heal.