I am a 49 yr old white female. I had my tonsils out 11/2/06. I am still suffering with dry sore throat, swollen glands, I have no taste yet and when I eat any solid food it scrapes down my throat and nearly choks me. I also have a constant choking feeling, sometimes like someone has thier hands around my throat and sometimes it's like there is stuff stuck in my throat and I am choking on it. This is all very uncomfortable and I am loosing weight as I am not eating at all as food has no taste. I have also picked up a dry constant cough. Any help suggestions or ideas for me? :'(

Hi Jeb. I had my tonsillectomy on October 11 and the feeling of everything I swallowed being a huge lump went away after about 5-6 weeks. I wouldn't really say it felt like "choking" for me, though, so maybe you are feeling something different than I did. As far as taste loss, mine is horrible ever since surgery and I'm extremely worried about it. Let me know how that goes for you and especially write in to let me know if your taste recovers because I need hope!!!!

I feel the exact same way. I am a 29 year old female, just diagnosed with hperthyroidism. I always have the feeling of choking. Even the feeling someone has their hands around my neck. I started taking my meds almost a week ago. When will this feeling go away? I feel yout pain!!!

I had my tonsils out July 23rd and Ive never been so stressed. Pain was terrible I thought and I had to make sure I took the Loretab they prescribed me every 4 hours on the dot. Now its been a few weeks and my throat gets sore here and there but I always feel like I have a lump or something in my throat when I swallow anything including saliva. I just dont understand it. What causes this? I also has the worst taste in my mouth when I would eat. Or should I say that everything I ate tasted terrible and thats finally going away now. Now I just cant taste anything really unless its sweet. Im dying for regular food and stuff. Anyone else experiencing this> What I would like to know is why did the doctor not tell me about these other side affects with the tasting and the lump in throat?
Bonnie

I am glad to know I am not imagining this. I had my tonsils removed 8/15/07. Had to go back on 8/27 because it started bleeding after 10 days and they had to recauterize and stitch the left side blood vessel. I was so scared because I couldn't get it to stop for 20 min. and it was coming out pretty fast!! I still havw a sore throat, it feels dry, my voice is hoarse, it feels like something draining in the left side on my throat from my nasal cavity with a metallic taste. I also feel like mucos is sitting in my throat. Evertime I eat it feels like it sticks to the side of my throat or gets pushed up into the top of my mouth but I can't rinse it out. I went back to the doctor and had to see his partner because he was out of the office. I wanted to know what was wrong or if it is just taking longer to heal. He told me it is acid reflux!!!! I think he is whacked!! I told him I never had acid reflux before and I did not have these symptoms until I had the tonsillectomy. I am so frustrated. He said to take Nexium for 6 weeks and if it doesn't work they will use the scope or take a barium test to see what happens when I swallow. That is bolony!! I am waiting for the doctor to return on Monday so I can talk to him and tell him I want the barium test now!!! Forget about Acid Reflux. I know what that is and I don't have it. I hope I don't have this the rest of my life! I wish I never had them taken out.

I had my tonsills out 2 weeks ago and I now have a feeling of something in my throat and the feeling that I am going to choke. At night when I lie down I constantly feel as if I am not going to be able to breath due to this choking feeling. You have given me hope as I now know I am not the oly person who feels like this. I too have lost my taste. Nobody mentioned any of this before the op. I wish they had.

My husband is 45 , he also not regained his ablity to taste. He was told it could have been from the chemicals from the anesthia. He was told to talk zinc and B-12 . He was 153 lbs, but has lost 14 of that. I am very worried . He states he is straving to death. I really wish there was more I could do for him. Please if there is anyone with futher information please pass it on.

Thanks
jjherb

I had my tonsils out 10/16/07 and i am having the same problem... i feel like someone is choking me i feel like the tissue in the back of my throat is irritated... my regular doctor said every thing looks fine my ear, nose throat says the same think he also thinks it is acid reflex... I do take pervacid. but, i don't think thats the problem... because i see some irritating on the back side of my throat.. my regular doctor ordered a ct but noting showed up... still have the problem... hope someone could sled some light on this... everyone thinks Im going crasy.. jdaisy

I am 3 weeks post op and everything is fine except for the dry mouth.. My boyfriend said when he kisses me, it is like cotton. So not only does it bother me, it is felt by him too. Not many people mention this. I am wondering how long will this last.

I know it's been awhile since your tonsillectomy, but I am 34 and had mine out on 6-17-08. I started to bleed badly the Monday after my surgery. They made me go to the ER where I bleed until it stopped. They said it was unusual for the scab to come off after only 6 days. I was sent home after an over night stay. I stayed on liquids because I was terrified I would bleed again. Well that Thursday I started to bleed a little again and was told to eat ice chips which I did and it helped, then on and off I would start up again. My ENT Doctor was out of town, so I was left in limbo. Friday I started to bleed even worse than before to the point where my stomach would fill with blood and I felt like I couldn't breathe. We rushed to the ER where they acted like it was no big deal, they even made me wait in the waiting room and did a 15 minute triage while I was throwing up blood and blood clots. I honestly thought I was going to die, I was so scared I would never see my boys again that i kept praying that I wouldn't die. I was told that it is an almost too common thing for adults to bleed out after the surgery and that it's not a recommended procedure. Well an ENT on call came in and two hours later I was rushed back into surgery to have the bleeding stopped. I had to have my stomach pumped because of all the blood and still spent the next few days passing it. Now I'm anemic and feel horrible. I still can't eat solids and I feel my scab coming off and so terrified that I don't even talk. Don't have it done!!!

I've been searching the internet for what I've been feeling and I came upon this. I have NOT had my tonsils out but I've been having this choking feeling every night for about 8 months. It has gotten worse and 2 days ago, I felt it all day. I thought it might be anxiety. I have a 1 year old but I didn't think he made me that anxious. I do not have a sore throat and tonight I checked out my tonsils and they look kinda swollen. I keep pulling on my shirt thinking that it is too tight around my neck. I hope we can find out what this is for all of us. If anyone discovers what it is, please post it. I am going to see my Dr. this week.

I had a tonsillectomy yesterday and my throat was sore but barable. I ate some soft chicken strips, green beans, and soft french fries. I regret that, it put me in some pain. I couldn't sleep at all last night. My throat felt SOOOO dry but I had a real viscous saliva stuck in the back of my throat. When I would try to wash it down with water it felt like water was getting stuck and trying to go up my nose. Then it felt like I had mucous draining from my sinuses. My uvulva is so swollen that with all the drainage I felt like I couldn't breathe. Every time I would start to doze off I would wake up like I wasn't getting enough oxygen. On my second day now and my throat is sooo swollen! I'm in some pain, I just try to avoid using my throat. I am constantly spitting!!! I think it was well worth it though knowing I won't have those awful tonsil stones to worry about anymore!!!

I had my tonsils out march 2006.I have got every symptom you ve described in your letter.been 3x to ENT he looked 2x with the scope-no answers,nothink,app everything looks fine.Im so frustated.I can not imagine living with this feeling in my mouth for the rest of my life.If i've known I will end up like this I would have left my tonsill alone.I wish I never had them taken out.Dont do it in older ages (37).Its too late for body to heal propper.

Im 14 years old and female, and i have just gotten my tonsils and adenoids taken out out the 25th of feburary this year (2010), i've lost alot of weight because i wont drink my protein shakes, they leave this terrible taste in my mouth because of the yellow-ish film saliva coating my mouth :c its not fun at all, i have to take really strong pain pills because the pressure being put on my ears is un-bearable (hehe sorry i cant spell). So im on what day 7 of the 10 day recovery? maybe the 6th day im not to sure all i know is im constantly tired and spitting saliva out. The only thing that im aloud to have that taste good is apple juice, i wont even eat ice cream cause it feels to weird to swallow, so we switched to frozen yogurt and it taste nasty too. Im constantly sleeping because that seems to be the only relaxing and helpful thing since the surgery. Oh yeah, because im at a lack of protein i threw up at 4:30 this morning, ironiclly enough it killed the pressure in my ears but my throat was bruning because of the stomach acid on my sores so i started to freak (im 14 C: i tend to do that alot) so i drank alot of water and suprisingly ( :C i spelleld that wrong)he burning and all pain at that moment just disapeared, but when i woke up at 8 it was back but not as bad as the days before pain. I just want to know if its normal to have the yellowish stuff covering your mouth.

I got my tonsils and adnoids out on the 29th on march, so I'm on day 4 I think. I read a lot about different peoples experiences before having it done, and gave it a lot of thought. About half the posts I read said people wish they had never gotten them out, and the other half say it sucked, but they're glad they did it. Well so far I'm glad I got them out. I've had some problems already but I just thinking how worth it it'll be when i'm all healed. The doctor said he could see that my tonsils were big when he would look in my mouth, but he he got back there during the surgery they were 3-4 times bigger than he thought they'd be on the inside. When he finally got htem out he said he squeezed them and a ton of infection and puss came out. He had to scrape the holes and the back of my throat really good just to make sure he got all the infection out. He said he wasnt' planning on taking out my adnoids, as with most adults they are shriveled up and dead, but he had to take my out because they were big and infected too. So my surgery was on a monday and that night and most of tuesday I was very swollen and not sleeping or breathing good, but not in too much pain. By wednesday morning all I had eaten in the past 3 days were 2 mushed up popsicles, and had been taking 2 percocet every 4 hours on the dot. I started feeling queasy from all the pain pills and no food in my stomach, and I threw up a ton(mainly all the water I'd been drinking). Doing that dislodged the blood clots that had started forming and I started bleeding really bad. Bright red blood and some clots too. It took about an hour for the bleeding to stop. My mom called the doctors and they had me suck on some ice chips, which helped stop the bleeding. So most of wednesday kinda sucked because my whole face, mouth, and neck were so swollen from throwing up, and I was in horrible pain. I was terrified of taking more pain pills until I ate something with more sustenance like applesauce, that I hadn't had a pain pill since 1 am wed morning and it was 3pm wed afternoon before I finally got more down after forcing some apple sauce in me. Wednesday night was ok though, compaired to the day. Thursday was ok for the most part, started eating more applesauce and some pudding. That night I bent down to pick up a pillow off the floor and I started bleeding again. Smae thing, it took about 40 min to stop the bleeding, and had to suck on ice chips the whole time. My mom called and talked to the doctor himself(since it was past office hours). He said you're not suppose to be bleeding like that and if i bleed one more time then I have to go the ER and them call him so he can take me back into surgery to fix the problem. He said I have to keep my head above my heart, which is kinda to remember to do. But it is now friday night and no more bleeding as of yet. I did wake up with a bad headache, and a sore neck and back from sleeping in a recliner the past 4 nights. Yes this is a painful surgery to have, but even with the problems I've had so far I would still have had it done. It will be so very worth it in the end. I'm just crossing my fingers and really hoping I don't start bleeding again, for I'd rather not go back under the knife so soon. So if your thinking of having it done I would get it done and over with now. You're only going to get older and it will only get harder the longer you wait. And if you've had it done and are still in the healing process just hang tight. I'm sure it will get better before you know it.