I have spinal stenosis, but to made things worse 10 years ago I had a laminectomy /discectomy. My new surgeon performed a pedicle screw fusion L-4, L-5, S-1, but after 9 years I have leg pain again. I cannot drive more, have trouble walking, and my stomach is getting to be a problem, due to taking non-narcotic drugs. I had 2 other opinions that strongly recommended the same surgery. He suggests first an epidural and then an L-3/L-4 fusion. He felt that a laminectomy might not work and that I would then need another surgery for the fusion. What is your opinion of success with laminectomy vs. fusion at the higher level?

I have spinal stenosis, but I was treated with conservative treatment with epidural shots and chiropractor. However, if you can’t live like that surgery is solution. So, the only two choices for treating your spinal stenosis are either further surgery, and a spine fusion is usually necessary. I know from others experiences that the results are probably slightly better, but the real problem is that you are taking another joint and further changing the biomechanics of the back. I can’t give you right answer for laminectomy vs. fusion, because basically there is risk either way.

I had a discectomy over. 10 years ago and I was searching for how long they last. The reason is I'm having pain where it hurts to swallow food. Hurts into my chest. Having some tingling in my arms when I bend my head forward through my arms hands. Guess nothing last forever. It was c-6 and 7.