I had a 5-6/6-7 neck fusion surgery 2 1/2 months ago. I was having left arm pain before the surgery which has completely gone away. Now I am having pain on the bump on the back of my neck (C7)and also in my upper trap on my right shoulder. I've been out of my neck brace for 3 weeks and I would like to know if this is a common problem after the surgery. I get the pains when I am on my feet a lot or when I'm looking down or on the computer.

Kel, I only had C 6-7 fusion done a little over 5 weeks ago, but I also had MAJOR problems with my left arm before surgery. It was completely unusable while I waited to have the surgery because the nerves were so compressed. Anyway, I have been out of my neck brace for a couple of weeks and know that I have pain on the bump on the back of my neck (C7). At night, if I lay just right, which is most the time (flat on my back because of the allograft) my left forearm and hand falls asleep. I cannot find a pillow that is comfortable, so I just do not sleep that much. I sleep on and off during the day..... not good. If I try to do any work at my desk (prepping to go back to work), I immediately get pain in the same place AND in the upper trap on both shoulders, more on my left than my right, though (I'm not good for over an hour). I did see my surgeon today and he said that all of the muscles are flared up due to what happened before the surgery as well as the surgery itself. He keeps saying "3 months" and some non-invasive PT, massage, etc. might help. ??? Have you heard anything different? I feel like a newbie.

I had C-5&6, ACDF surgery in September 05 and after tons of therapy, tests, etc. I still remain like Dinie.
I have given up hope of ever fully recuperating from this surgery.
The back of my neck is so sensitive I cannot stand for anyone to touch it. Still have problems sleeping and wake up with body stiff and asleep. To even get to sleep often times takes me an hour or so. Tossing and turning trying to find that "just right" position that doesn't hurt. Laying on my stomach is a definite NO NO. In the last several months though I have found I can lay on my back longer...that's a big plus.
Cannot do any physical activities (standing, bending, lifting, reading, writing, etc) for any length of time.
I have been diagnosed with RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy), fibromyalgia, Vit D defeciency. I feel like I've had fibro for a long time so I tend to believe that the majority of my pain is due tor RSD.
You may want to research it and see if your symptoms fit.
Best of luck to both of you....this isn't a pleasant thing!

~Want to make God laugh? Tell Him your plans~

I had C-5&6 ACDF surgery two days ago and it relieved my right arm pain immediately. Having some problems eating and sleep due to pain in my throat and the tops of my shoulders are killing me. My surgeon said that they pull the shoulders down and tape them that way to get more room to do the operation. Still on pain medication, but I can see that going away in the next few days. Very happy so far.

I have had 2 disc fusions C5-C7 and neither one has taken. Have bone spurs pushing on my spinal cord. First one was March 07, second one was January 08. Still have pains in both arms more on the left. Hands go numb, loss of strength, lucky to get 3 hours of continues sleep (and thats on sleeping pills) toss and turn, usually give up sleeping by 3am. Daily severe headaches on my left side of head down my left side of neck. Can't sit or walk for long periods of time due to the bone taken from my hip. Worse thing, loss medical insurance March 08 - my surgeon sees me for free out of the goodness of his heart. Payed $400 for CT scan August 08 and the fusion plate is pushing on C4. Now have more bone spurs at C1-C2, narrowing of the nerve root at C3-C4 through C6-C7 with left narrowing at C4-C5 and bilateral narrowing at C3-C4 and C6-C7. Bone out of alignment at C5. I am only 44 and I can't believe my bones are breaking apart this bad. I am still on disability, can't drive, still on pain medications, I am at a loss as to where to turn to get help and get my life back to some kind of normal. I would like to go back to work, but at this time I can't perform satisfactory for any employeer. House is going into forclosure, life is real bleak right now :cry: Any one have any suggestions or answers email me **********8

I have had c-6-7 fused in May of 07 and in May of 08 had a Lami from c-5-t-2. Not doing well at all. I'm scheduled for Facet injections next week. Has anyone had scuccess with them?

I only had temporary relief with these injections. Nothing long term.

I had a C 6-7 fusion 6 weeks ago. Prior to the surgery I was having extreme difficulty with my right arm. The nerve was being compressed making my arm useless unless I held my head cocked to the left side. I currently have gone back to work (light duty) and have a small amount of pain in the back of my neck on occasion, but nothing more as long as I do not do the things I am not supposed to do. I am sleeping quite well and the issue with my arm is gone. I am tickled pink I had the surgery.

I'm so glad to read that someone is happy they had the surgery. I'm scheduled for a C 6-7 fusion next week and I'm scared to death. I keep getting told I'm too young (40) to have a bone spur and bulging disc but I have them. Nothing really to relate it back to, no injury anyway. I'm hoping that the extreme tingling in my left arm will go away and my nerves will come back. I tried physical therapy for two weeks before I made the decision to have the surgery, obviously it didn't work. I'm hoping for the best!!

Guest,

Keep your spirits high! I went in with no bad expectations even though my sis has had 3 of these now and she has a rough time... We all are differant and some ppl in here like TheGloveman has healed remarkably fast and was wrestling his lil boy around week 3 or so. I am finaly getting around better now that I know my limits... Just find those and do not push it no matter what. It is not like healing from other things. This takes time and time only!!!

Keep us posted
Rob

I am now 12 weeks from surgery. I am still tickled pink! The recovery has been slower than I anticipated, but my numbness and tingling is gone. I experienced a little tingling yesterday, but I also did a 3 hour bike ride on Sunday. That is the first time I have had any of the prior sensations. Probably still too soon to do that! I am hoping to get a full release from my Doc on the 18th. Contrary to many of the postings on here, my surgery seems to be a sucess.Thanks Doctor S!!

Kel,

I just completed the same surgery you've had. Mine was 6 days ago and I experienced immediate relief from the pain in my arm. I'm also had the pain in my shoulders and back of my neck, but I find that an Ice pack and judicious use of pain meds has really helped. I'm still having a bit of numbness in my arm but that is beginning to go.

Keep in mind, that you neck muscles are longer now than before surgery. There is going to be pain for some time while the muscles stretch out. The discs in your neck were compressed or crushed and the bone they put in has expanded the vertebrae back to their normal height.

I've found that ice packs really help allieviate the the neck and shoulder pain.

Best of luck to you!

I am three days post-op from an ACDF in my C6-7, and i am experiencing the same things as others on this topic. my right arm pain instantly vanished when i woke up in recovery, that was something i noticed immediately. prior to surgery, my right hand was numb (index finger, thumb and the inside of the middle finger). now after surgery, only the very tip of my index finger still tingles a bit, but my surgeon stated that that might be the last thing to go. i do have pain in the hump in my neck and shoulders like others on here, and an immensely sore throat. all i can manage to eat right now is very soft foods, like jello, yogurt, applesauce, ice cream, and soft scrambled eggs. swallowing anything is a chore, so i took a tip i saw on here in another topic to break my pills in half and swallow with a spoon of applesauce. that really does help.

how long has the sore throat lasted for most of you on the forum? although it is not as bad as it was post op on monday, it is getting better, but it's still a chore to take a sip of anything... but i'm pushing through it.

i'm glad i went through the surgery, though. recovery is always difficult no matter what you have done, so as long as i keep a healthy and positive attitude about it all, i believe i can pull through it. :-)

jen

Jen,

Stick with it, it sounds like you are doing great! Swallowing seems to vary from person to person. It's typically the result of having the the breathing tube placed in your throat during surgery. This causes irritation and inflammation. I was very fortunate in that I had no trouble swallowing at all. One week after surgery, I only feel like a I have a small lump in my throat.

Stay with the softer foods and work your way back slowly.

Best wishes and good luck to you!

hi TBrien,
Thanks for the best wishes! you are right, the sore throat is from the tube, but it's slowly healing. i'm sticking with the soft foods until i feel like i can transition to more solids. not only is it sore, but it feels like there's something blocking it about halfway down, too. nothing bad, just very irritating :-)

i had my first outing this morning. My dad took me to the pharmacy a block down the road - one to get a refill of meds, and the main reason is so i could find a mother's day card for both my mom and sister. i just wanted to feel like i was back in the world of the living for a few minutes anyway :-) Although I was gone for a half hour, now I'm tired, so I'll be a good patient and remain on my couch for the rest of the day. That trip wiped me out.

How long ago did you have your surgery? It appears your recovery went well, right? I'm keeping positive and not allowing anything to bring me down, that's the only way to get better in my mind :-)

Thanks again and have a great Friday!
Jen