I am 49 and basically having normal flow periods up until about a yr ago and they came 3wks to 3months apart. The dr. said my uterine is way to thick and prescribed Prometrium 200mg 10 days per month. No estrogen.
Is this normal to take just Prometrium?

Hi there! I was also prescribed just Prometrium and found it weird because I know that these hormones were given for women who start menopause in order to get rid of their symptoms. If this is the case, the doctors always prescribe the combination of estrogen and progesterone because of the balance.

I realized I had some hormonal problems since he just prescribed Prometrium, so I asked him and he told me that Prometrium is used alone in cases in secondary amenorrhea-when you suddenly stop bleeding ie stop having periods.

I have always been irregular and for the last six months I haven’t had my period at all. He put me on Prometrium 400mg, for ten days per month, to be taken every night.

Did prometrium help you? I took 200mg for 10 days. and it is time to start the next months pills for 10 days and still no period.

As a matter of fact, i started bleeding almost immidiately and i took prometrium one month only. We haven't figure out what the problem was but i did get my period and after that everything was "normal" (read still irregular but present). The moment i started taking prometrium i got these awful cramps that i later learned were just a side effect of taking it.

My OBGYN prescribed Prometrium almost 2 weeks ago - to actually help me stop my menstrual cycle. I'm 38 years old & had been on the DEPO shot for 8 months to help stop it - This due to the horrible pain that comes with it each month... I have almost stopped the bleeding completely - Thank God I've actually been on my cycle Since the 7th of January... My doctor explained to me that basically it is a Medical DNC - and should help me completely stop - which should stop my pain - Thus me not having the Big "H" surgery...