Hi, I’m postmenopausal and I’ve been using several drugs during last few years (HRT among others). Recently I’ve heard for Prometrium – some say that it is really good drug for postmenopausal women who are taking estrogen (HRT). Does anybody here know what is Prometrium like? Is it any good, side effects….

I too know that prometrium is prescribed for postmenopausal women who are taking HRT. It should prevent a buildup of the lining of the uterus and abnormal bleeding. But, I’ve heard for several side effects like phlebitis, breathing problems, pain with swelling, back pain, bloating, breast tenderness or pain, vision problems and even stroke. So, personally, I would check it with my dr – there are too many effects and I would not like to risk getting any of them…

prometrium is just natural progesterone. It is identical to the hormone your body makes each month. There are far less risks taking it than any other progestin (provera medroxyprogesterone etc). Risks listed by drug companies are there for legal reasons. Your risk of having any of these problems are far less than they were when you were preganant. Why take a drug that your body was not made to take when you can now take something identical to it's own natural hormone?

Prometrium is GOOD stuff!! I had ued the Combi-Patch for 3 years but the Progesterone in it is Medoxyprogesterone...so it wasn't natural. I wanted Bio-identical, so a Canadian doctor turned me onto Prometrium 2 years ago. I take 100 mg in the morning along with 1mg Estradiol...which is Bio-identical Estrogen. About 90 minutes after I take it, I get an incredible HIGH from the Prometrium. It's hard to describe, almost like a feeling of sheer bliss. I've heard some women say they felt giddy or had a drunk feeling. I also take 100mg of just the Prometrium at bedtime. Again I feel that high feeling within 90 minutes. Prometrium makes you sleep like a baby!!! I use these hormones for menopause...

After a couple of years with prometrium, are you still having success?

Hi there...I"m 55 and I just started taking prometrium 3 weeks ago because I was really sick of sleeping in a puddle and being drenched from head to toe as I was ready to leave the house. The hot flashes are much less but I am still drenched at night. The Doctor wants to up me to 200 mg?? but hasn't mentioned the estrogen yet? Should you take one without the other? how do they know how much of each one we need without seeing a specialist and is Estradiol the chosen /recommended bio identical estrogen ? How old are you if I may ask? The other thing is I find it fairly pricey without extended medical!..... Not sure to continue and get heavier into it or scrap it? Lol