I just recently started taking prometrium and was wondering after how long should I expect a period. I was under the impression that I would get a period while taking Prometrium but that has not happened. Is this normal?

I will then start on clomid.
Could you please tell me what kind of side effects I should expect if any?

Thanks.

I have the same question. I was told by my doctor that I could get a period while taking Prometrium. Well I did not get one so I called the doctor and she said it could take between 5-7 days. It has been 9 days and I still have not gotten a period. Called doctor again and she said I should get it any day.

I want to know if it normally takes this long to get a period after taking Prometrium.

I want to get my period so I can start taking Clomid.

I just took my first round of clomid, did my first IUI, and am now on prometrium. They told me that if I am not pregnant, I should get my period within 2 weeks of the IUI, while still on the prometrium...So, I know it's hard to relax, but somehow our bodies don't work well under stress, just try to relax a little and maybe it will come...

i'm taking it to induce a period so i can start iui and clomid. i was on the prometrium for 12days i'm giving it 3-7days to get my period then i'll call the doctor if i don't get my period. i wonder what will happen if i don't get my period for very long time. So far its been 90days+ i think.

Guest wrote:

i'm taking it to induce period so i can start iui and clomid. i was on the prometrium for 12days i'm giving it 3-7days to get my period then i'll call the doctor if i don't get my period.
i wonder what will happen if i don't get my period for very long time. So far its been 90days+ i think.

Wow... glad to know i am not the only one! I also don't get my period for 90+ days and just finished my 10pills of 200mg prometrium (2days ago) to induce my period, then i will also start Clomid... from what i can remember ;-) it is feeling like it should come within the next day or few!

We've been TTC for a year+ and even tho my past doctor has known... it was just brought to my attention by switching docs that i am postmenopausal range of progesterone (at 28yrs old), my body just wasn't producing it... I was a high performance athlete for YEARS and never had regular periods.... Grrrr, i'm very angry with my old doc for not bringing this up with me or trying to remedy the situation years ago.

As for symptoms of prometrium... i was pretty tired, had nausea, got pretty dizzy at times and my temperature was about a degree warmer than usual...

Good luck to y'all who are TTC. I know how frustrating it can get!

i was prescribed prometrium to induce my period as well. Have only had it twice in the last 9 months since getting off of birth control. I was told that I need to ensure that I am not pregnant before starting to take the medication due to possible birth defects caused by the medication. One doctor told me not to have unprotected sex until 12 days after the med and the other said no sex. Have your doctors talked to you about this?

I found it really helpful that I'm not the only one. I took Prometrium for a full week and i didn't get my period. I'm only 21 but my husband and I have been ttc for almost a year now since I last had my miscarriage. I feel that i should be getting my period today or tomorrow but the doctor told me that i had to go in for further testing. Is this normal? I don't know but I'm super nervous and i'm so afraid that it may be something more serious. How long does it usually take after taking the meds to get your period?
Please someone help me!

I had my IUI done 9 days ago. The doctor gave me prometrium suppositories to use 2 times per day. I did a HPT yesterday because I couldn't hold out any longer at it was negative. I called the doctor and he said it was too soon to take a HPT.

I dont have any signs of my period and I am anxiously counting down until Tuesday when I visit the doctor for the Blood Test. I am praying that this works. My experience thus far with the RE and nurses was incredible. I hope the ending is just a great. This process has been emotionally draining for me and my husband. Ive cried a lot

Im glad to come across this website... Ive been going thru a lot.. due to my pcos my dr. wanted me to get on Metfrmn i started with 500mg 2x a day and then 7-8 mos later 1000mg 2x a day..i was told it would help ovulate n loss weight .. I took it for about 2yrs and nothing happened then they decided to put me on prometrium ..after the first 12days of taking it i got my period and it was like that every month for the first 5 mos and then it started switching up i would get symptoms thinking maybe im preg.. but nothing. Im off metfrmn for about 2yrs i told my Dr. that i want to try with diet and exercise.. but still on prometrium.. and they never spend more than 5-7 mins with us >:( ... after reading all the post i feel that I should give be on some kind of fertility along with prometrium since its not happening on its on .. my husband and i have been TTC for about 5-6yrs now.. but nothing :'( its really stressful.. any suggestion ..and im def changing DRs..

I took Prometrium 400mg every night for 10 days to start my period. My period came 3 days after i took the Prometrium. I heard that if you start your period while taking the prometrium then your body caused the period naturally which means you didnt really need to take the prometrium. I have had a period in over a year so i started taking the prometrium to hopefully help me get on track to getting pregnant. I am on day 2 of my period.

Good Luck To All,

Meaghan :-P

I am on my third round of prometrium and chlomid. No luck yet. This time is different though I have not gotten my period the day or two after, it has been 7 days and NO signs yet of anything coming. I know everyone writes this, but it makes it a little easier to know others have the same problems or frustrations, like Im not the only one. The funny thing is this process has made me feel less feminine than anything we have done. I have PSOS and in remission one year from cervical cancer, so getting pregnant is important now more than ever, talk about pressure right? Anyway thanks for all that post I know this is extremely difficult and personal but your words and thoughts give me hope when nothing else does. I pray for all of you everynight and wish the best of luck to all you natural mothers waiting for your bundle of joy. xoxoxoxo Kristie

Your period should start within a couple of days AFTER you stop taking the premetrium. My doc put me on it for 10 days and said after the 10th day I should expect a period soon after.

The biggest risk with Clomid is having twins. Most docs won't prescribe it unless it's a last resort. My doc is putting me on premetrium for 10 days every other month. It will force my body to have a period one month, then the next month I will not take it so we can see if my body "jump starts" and ovulates on it's own again. After 6 months of that, if it doesn't work, I will then get on metformin. If that doesn't work, Clomid would really be the only other option.

Hope that helps

:-D I Took 200mg of Prometrium for 12 days nightly as instructed by my Doc and started my period 2 days after! In 3 more days I will begin Clomid! Good luck ladies!!! :-D :-P ;-) !

My doctor started me on 200mg Prometrium one week ago. I was told to take it every night before bed for 12 days. Then I should start my period. 5 days into the period I can start taking Clomid. I have been taking it every night before bed like told and then on saturday a period started, 4 days into the Prometrium. I asked my mother, who at one time had to do the same thing, and she said to keep taking like i was told and i will start another period when i am done with my 12 days. It has been 3 days now and I'm scared that I might be missing the opportunity to take the clomid and try to get pregnant because of this advice. I want to call my doctor but i also don't want him to yell at me bc i was supposed to monitor my basal body temp when i did start (after the prometrium).

If any one can please help me it would be great!

I was on the same thing and I asked my doctor and there is no need to continue taking the Prometrium. It did what it was suppose to do and that was to make you start your period. You are going to have to wait until you start again to start the Clomid. Some times I would have to take all of mine, sometimes I would start before the 10 days were up. Sorry, your mom told you wrong. Hope this helps. I realize this was posted in May, hope you are already pregnant!!! :-) Best of luck!!