I was taking Prometrium because I had problems with my period. I was taking it when I didn't even know that I was pregnant. I was really scared when doctor told me that I should stop using this medication. Is it possible that it hurt my baby? He told me basic information about this drug but can someone tell me more?

If you are worried that this medicine has caused some damage to your baby, it is needles from me to say that you need to go to your doctor. Prometrium is medicine that is prescribed for postmenopausal women who are taking estrogen. It can not be used during pregnancy. It prevents a buildup of the lining of the uterus and abnormal bleeding. Prometrium is also prescribed to restore menstruation, if menstrual periods have stopped. It increases the risk of blood clots, which can lead to breathing and vision problems or stroke. The most common symptoms are abdominal cramping, back pain, bloating, breast tenderness or pain, chest pain, constipation, coughing, depression, diarrhea, dizziness, emotional instability, fatigue, headache, hot flashes etc. Less common are abnormal vision, acne, abscess, allergic reaction, anxiety, arthritis, blood clot, breakthrough bleeding, breast enlargement, bronchitis, and change in menstrual flow, chest pain, confusion etc. Prometrium contains peanut oil, so everyone who is allergic to peanuts should avoid this medication. I hope that everything will be ok with you and your baby.

While what the above poster said is true in theory and product warnings, one off label use of Prometrium/Progesterone is it's use during the first trimester of a pregnancy to help make a pregnancy viable that would otherwise end in miscarriage due to low maternal progesterone.

No fetal abnormalities result from this use and there is no harm to mother or baby. Usually therapy is continued through to the 10-12th week (depending on the doctor) until the placenta takes over.

So, if you were on progesterone and conceived, no ill has fallen to your precious baby. You and your baby are just fine.

I TOOK PROMETRIUM BECAUSE I HAD HAD A MC IN DEC AND MY LEVELS WERE NOT GOOD. I AM NOW 13 WEEKS PREGNANT AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS AND MY BABY IS KICKING AND HAS NO PROBLEMS

I found out I was pregnant at 6 weeks and was very excited. That week I made my doc appointment. by the end of that week I was spotting. After blood test - it was determined I didn't produce enough progestrone and was put on prometrium. The reason - to help the body build the lining of the uterius for the fetus to stick too. Prayer, Bedrest and prometrium saved ourbaby. i am now 17 weeks pregnant and have been taken off prometruim. Our baby is strong and healthy.

I'm sure it didn't hurt the baby! When you are preg. your body naturally (hopefully) secretes extra progesterone to help the baby. Prometrium is just a supplement of that hormone.

The last posters are correct, it is used during pregnancy to help to maintain correct progesterone levels.
I just started taking this yesterday, at 6 weeks, and if our preg. continues, will be taking it until between 13-17 weeks. I had had spotting and two blood tests confirmed declining progesterone levels, yet increasing Hcg levels.

I was just reading the first answer to this question and it is completely false....Here is the answer that is incorrect
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are worried that this medicine has caused some damage to your baby, it is needles from me to say that you need to go to your doctor. Prometrium is medicine that is prescribed for postmenopausal women who are taking estrogen. It can not be used during pregnancy. It prevents a buildup of the lining of the uterus and abnormal bleeding. Prometrium is also prescribed to restore menstruation, if menstrual periods have stopped. It increases the risk of blood clots, which can lead to breathing and vision problems or stroke.

Here is my answer----I am almost 12 weeks pregnant and have been taking Prometrium since week 6. Since my body did not produce enough progesterin on it's own I was taking 100 mg every night vaginally to boost my progesterin. This is important because it DOES help build your uterus lining so that it will be strong enough to support the pregnancy. It is very important that if you are going to post an answer please make sure that your answer is correct. People like myself depend on these answers for support. Good luck with your pregnancy. I am sure everything will be just fine :-)

I had two pregnancies that began with low progesterone. I was prescribed Prometrium in both cases and now have two very healthy children (ages 5 and 2). I assure you that under your doctor's guidance it is safe to take. Best wishes to you all!!

Amy

I HAVE HAD 2 MISCARRAIGES AND MY DOCTOR CAME OUT AND TOLD ME IT WAS BAD LUCK. MY PROGESTERONE LEVEL WAS LOW SO HE PRESCRIBED IT TO ME ORALLY. I AM NOW ON MY 3RD PREGNANCY AND HAVE CHANGED DOCTORS. MY NEW DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PROMETRIUM TO BE TAKEN VAGINALLY. SO FAR EVERYTHING IS FINE. SOMEONE TOLD ME IT SHOULD BE MAKING ME HAVE NAUSEA BT IT ISN'T, I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW IT AFFECTED EVERYONE ELSE.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

I have had 2 miscarriages almost 1 yr to the day. So my Doctor put me on Clomid to make sure that I ovulate, and he also put me on Prometrium so that just in case we do get pregnant it might help us keep this pregnancy. I don't know what I'm going to do if we have another miscarriage. I might not let my husband touch me again...LOL. Hopefully in 3 days we'll find out if we pregnant. Keep your fingers crossed...

I've had 4 miscarriages, and my dr. just put me on prometrium. I just started taking 2/200mg a night in pill form. I've been online checking everything out and I've got to say I'm pretty frightened. I'm glad I found this sight, it has restored a little bit of my faith. I hope that someone might know a little about taking it in the form of a pill. I can always tell right away when I'm pregnant, now I'm nervous that I wouln't beable to because the side effects are similar to that of pregnancy. I'm pretty bummed that I will have to wait for a HPT. I hope the prometrium works, I really dread the thought of having another miscarriage.

I have read what you have all posted and is very reassuring. I am 6 weeks pregnant and my Dr. prescribed prometrium daily for 2 months. I have been taking it for 2 days and am experiencing abdominal pain. Is this normal?

Same as the guest above. I had 2 miscarriages in consecutive years and my doctor told me also that it's just a bad luck. At first I was thinking, I thought doctors always have scientific explanations. But anyway, he recommended me a prometrium to be taken orally. He said as soon as I find out that I am pregnant I should take the prometrium for 12 weeks.
Uh! My morning sickness was so horrible. In my 10th week, I skipped taking it for 3 days and I felt good. My doctor told me to stop the prometrium since the fetus heartbeat is strong and if it made me less nauseaus by not taking it.

My daughters doctor put her on Prometrium at 5 weeks because her progesterone levels were low.The fetus had a strong heartbeat at that time.When she returned for a checkup at 10 weeks, the fetus had no heartbeat.This was 3 days ago, and she has had no signs of miscarriage yet.Could the hormone therapy have caused the death of the fetus?

has anyone had any bleeding ..i have i have bled for about a week straight