Hi, I had a heart attack two years ago. I was a smoker, but when this happened I stopped smoking. For some time now I have been experiencing shortness of breath, but if I try to breathe more deeply I feel chest pain. Could these symptoms have something to do with the heart attack? I have been reading about pulmonary embolism. Is this the reason of my troubles?

Hi, judging by the symptoms I would say that you are suffering from chronic pulmonary embolism. This means that you probably have blood vessels in your lungs that are blocked with blood clots. Blood clots are formed in the veins. From there the clots can flow to any organs, but because all of the blood has to pass through lungs, most of the blood clogs are detained there. Being a smoker and having a heart attack are some of the risk factors for this condition. This is a serious condition that can cause sudden death if it is not treated. You should talk to your doctor right away. He will prescribe you proper treatment to prevent new blood clots from occurring.