Hello, guys. My brother was administrated to the hospital last night. He was diagnosed pulmonary embolism. Previously, he had had venous clot. I would like to know if there is any relation between these conditions. What can you tell me about this? I would appreciate all your help. Thanks in advance.

Hello. Blood clot, usually located in deep veins of the legs, is the main guilty factor for pulmonary embolism. This clot can be parted from vein. It can travel to the blood stream. It goes to the right atrium and ventricle. It usually passes through them and ends up in pulmonary circulation. It gets stuck in an artery with middle or smaller caliber. And that is the essence of pulmonary embolism and its relation to venous clot. I hope this is clear enough. If you need more details, don’t hesitate to ask. Bye!