My mother is 65 years old and currently stationed at the hospital, in their emergency department. I do not know what really happened, she just called me on my cell phone and said that there is something wrong with her. Later, my sister called and said that our mother was diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary embolism. I am not in the country right now, and trying to find some info on this condition through internet. Can you help me?

The most common symptoms for bilateral pulmonary embolism are pain in chest and dyspnea. Perhaps your mother mentioned it sometimes. In short, this situation is just a complication of other illness – venous thrombosis, meaning there was thrombus somewhere in your mother's leg veins. In almost 70 percent of cases, this complication is bilateral, as in your mother case. The therapy is basically prophylactic

Hello there jaquelyn,

First of all don’t panic. Your mother is going to be fine and that is the most important thing at the moment. Because you are out of the country basically there is nothing you can do at this moment and stressing yourself out because of this is completely unnecessary. Since doria has already answered you what is the cause of bilateral pulmonary embolism, and the thrombosis in the veins somewhere in the body, usually leg is one of the most common causes.

Your sister will take care about everything and after the therapy starts to work your mother is going to feel much better. I hope that this was helpful, and don’t worry about small things.

I just got out of the hospital with this pulmonary embolism. And I am young I am 28 yrs old and i had a power port in my chest and they seem to think that the pulmonary embolism was caused by the port, so they did surgery and removed the port and now I am having to undergo 6wks of antibotics at home thank god... I spent 7 days in ICU had to end up getting a pint of blood while i was in there also. Having this pulmonary embolism is not fun at all.. I wish your mother luck.. But, do tell her she does need to make sure that she gets proper care for this or it can lead to death. Take care....