Hi, I have a family history of deep vain thrombosis. Both my grandmother and my mother suffer from this condition in their legs. I know that they experience pain and swelling in the legs because of deep vain thrombosis, but I have never seen them have any other problems. Recently, I have heard that deep vain thrombosis can cause pulmonary embolism. Can you tell me how can this be prevented? I fear that because of my work at the office, where I sit almost nine hours, and my family history I am at risk of developing both conditions.

Hi, deep vain thrombosis is a condition where a blood clot is formed in the vain that is under inflammation. You are aware of the symptoms of deep vain thrombosis. In some of the cases the blood clots may detach and flow into other organs, primarily the lungs causing pulmonary embolism. Because of the risk factors you are in danger of developing these conditions. You should talk to your doctor about the examination methods and tests used to determine the existence of deep vain thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. However, there are anticoagulant drugs that are used to stop the formation of blood clots. The doctor will also talk to you about prevention steps that you can take to prevent these conditions from occurring.