Hello, folks. I have read something about pulmonary embolism. I know that this condition is pretty serious and that it can get life threatening. I would like to know if there is a relation between this condition and blood types. I think I have heard something like that. I would be very grateful for all your opinions.

Hi, there. I have heard something about that relation between blood types and pulmonary embolism. As far as I know, this condition is more typical for people with blood type A. I must admit that I don’t know the reason. I have searched on the internet and I haven’t found any data. Perhaps, someone here will know something more. I am sorry I don’t know details. I hope you will find the answer. Good luck! Bye!

Yes I have heard of having blood type A with increased risk of having pulmonary embolism (PE).

[a] emedicine (from WebMD), Nov 6 2008. Title: “Pulmonary Embolism”, Author: Craig F Feied, MD, FACEP, FAAEM, FACPh, Professor of Emergency Medicine with co-authors Jonathan A Handler, MD, Director of Informatics, Assistant Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine. Here they list risk factors for PE, one of them being having blood type A.

Published in a medical journal: “Chest” 1991 Feb, 99(2):284-8. Authors: DeLaria GA, Hunter JA. Title: “Deep venous thrombosis. Implications after open heart surgery”. Within the abstract to this article they list
They reviewed cases of 10,638 cardiac surgical patients to determine the incidence of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) after open heart surgery (OHS). Of these patients, the ones who developed PE the risk factors were listed, one of them was having blood type A (70%).