Hello! Two weeks ago I a had a shoulder fluoroscopy. Not until today did I know that radiation from fluoroscopy can impact my health and even cause skin cancer. Can you please tell me about the radiation dose I got from fluoroscope? Thank you

The possibilities of getting cancer from fluoroscopy are small but still much considered by the FDA lately. I can’t tell you how much radiation dosage you received from fluoroscopy, it all depends on how long you were exposed. During fluoroscopy, it is advised to use the lowest possible dosage and the benefits of getting fluoroscopy done usually exceed the small risks of cancer. The FDA posed new rules about radiation safety and new equipment must have displays of the duration, rate, and cumulative amount of radiation exposure patients receive, increased x-ray filtration to reduce the possibility of radiation injuries during long procedures, a last-image-hold feature so that physicians can view images without continually exposing patients to radiation. However, the old equipment doesn’t have these features. As for your shoulder fluoroscopy, I don’t think you will experience much problems. If you are concerned that much, you should talk to a doctor who performed fluoroscopy.