Hello, folks. My grandfather was discovered a malignant mesothelioma on X-ray. I hear that this is a very serious form of cancer and that treatment doesn't promise much. I would like to know whether radiation is used for treating malignant mesothelioma or not. What are the perspectives of this form of therapy?

Hi, there. You have heard well. Treating malignant mesothelioma isn't easy. Radiotherapy isn't successful since the localization of this tumor doesn't allow us to use high amounts of X rays. Smaller amounts, however, are not effective enough. Nevertheless, X rays are usually used after surgery. The goal is to kill remaining tumor cells. It can also be used as a palliative therapy. That means it is used to relieve symptoms. I hope your grandfather will feel well. Keep me informed!

HI;

Sorry to be such a dummy but is the malignant mesothelioma the same as a melanoma?

I've been reading as much as I can...

I am interested in what type of treatment works best? I understand that treatment will vary from person to person, but how do you know what's best?

Also, I'm reading on different types...I understande chemo is not a recommended form of treatment for this type of cancer, however, immunotherapy and radiation are commonly used types of treatment.

There are a few trials out there, but how do you know what to do?

I've heard the treatment in Buffalo with the interlukin is hard on the body...

There's other studies here in Canada...

What form of treatment typically offers the best results?

Help!...thanks. :-)