Hi Heath,
I'm afraid I don't knwo the answer to that. I have had stiches in my vagina after each repair which have lasted months so that tampons are uncomfortable and my boyfriend finds it uncomfortable. I haven't really had sex properly since my first repair in September 2007. Although we've tried a couple of times it has either been scratchy for him or I've felt tense. Sorry I can't help. I am supposed to be able to have sex again now with the stoma but I've not felt like trying yet - too scared.

To anyone who has a stoma do you ever get a real desire to empty your bowel normally? My body just tried and felt like something was going to come out but it didn't seem to. In the end i made it stop because I didn't want to keep straining.
Bea

Hello everyone,

I, too, have little to offer Heath. I was under orders forever not to have sex incase it affected the fistula. Then, when I hooked up with this obgyn, he said I should have 'lots of sex' to prepare for his surgery. I must admit we haven't followed that direction at least in part to the worry around bothering the fistula. Maybe some day...

Bea, I have had just what you talked about. I think that's normal. Sometimes I've just sat without straining in the event something was there but mostly nothing came and the urge passes. On occasion there's been mucous and more recently I think I had a ball of barium stuff. I wonder if there's swelling or something that just kicks in the normal reaction of our muscles there.

Trying to have a 'normal' weekend before the surgery on Monday. I have movies, books, spending time outdoors incase I don't get to go out for a while. It was hard at work telling people I may be back on Wednesday or I might be out for 3 to 6 weeks. I'll call when i find out. And I'll post! Thanks again for your support. What a ride we take.
Penny

Penny-GOODLUCK...will be thinking of you!!!!

Bea-I have it too; my doctor said this is normal...I even expelled fecal matter that had been caught..ugh...which actually, like I said in an earlier post was what made me so scared my surgery had failed...anyway, I too have it!

Heath-Wish I had an answer for you...I am not having any sex because I just had surgery and also have a stoma, so not really in the "mood" yet. You should ask your doctor!!!

Everyone, be well and keep smiling.

B

HI Penny and B,
Thanks for your reassurance on the urges thing - I've felt an urge but this time it really went for it - maybe there is a little something there as it keepts feeling like it is going to do it again.

Penny, Very GOOD LUCK for Monday. Please let us know as soon as you can (but onyl when you feel well enough) what the outcome is. I think the uncertainty at each stage is sometimes as hard to deal with as the reality.

Anyway best wishes,
Bea

Hi Ladies...thanks for the response. I guess not everyone recovers quickly from labor as I had thought. Sorry to hear you aren't 100% yet and GOOD LUCK to Penny. You must be pumped to finally go and BE positive..and ensure you listen to thier restrictions. It can make or break it (literally unfortunately). I hope you ladies have a good weekend. I have a sitter tonight so hubby and I are having a night out and like clock work - my period came so at least my body has another week to get rest before I take another whirl at it! ;-)
GOOD LUCK PENNY and thank you ladies for the support.

Bea- I didn't say this earlier in my post, but I actually still have gas, even with the ileo. odd eh? That kinda correlates with having urges... That is how I know that the fistula is still there and why I am still really hoping my Dr. is right and it may heal over. ANyway, just wanted to add that. Be so well.

Penny- I will be thinking of you. Best on Monday!!! When you are up to it, let us all know how you are doing...

Be good all!

B

Hello everyone,
I can't believe I'm writing this at 12:17 pm after a non surgery. I left home this am at 5:20ish, wheeled in at 7:30, my MD looked a bit bleary eyed, and done an hour later. He told my sis he was 99% sure I no longer had the fistula, and if I did he'd take care of it after the reversal. I am so glad i'm not in the hospital, in pain, waiting to be discharged. We've all been there and I'll be there again with the reversal but for now I'm grateful. I also won't be totally convinced the fistula is gone until the reversal is done and everything stays where it belongs! But for now I'm watching Ricky Gervais on TV and loving it.

Thank you so much for your good wishes. They were totally a part of my mantra as the 'surgery' got closer; good wishes and my blood type, B+. I can't tell you how good it feels to have this place to share in.

Hoping good things for all of you soon. Penny

Hi Penny,
Great to hear from you. And good news! About the best you can hope for. I know what you mean about the reversal but I guess you have to try. DO you know when it will be? Enjoy the TV meanwhile. XXXXXX

B,
Thanks for the info on the gas. I don't get that for some reason - or not like I used to. But the filters on my bags are quite fierce and suck all the gas out very fast. Maybe that is why...?

Hope everyone is OK. PEnny - I agree this place is a great place to feel support.
Bea

PENNY-THAT IS SO GREAT!!! YEAH...BE WELL, TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.
You give me great hope that time heals fistulas. Write when you are up to it again and keep us posted. If it weren't a hundred percent, but close, would it be better then the ileo. I always ask myself... Personally, I hate to be ummmm.... whatever, but I would really like to be able to be intimate with my husband again or have the choice to have another baby... anyway... you give me hope and i am sooooo happy the news is good and your good...

Bea-I think it isn't too normal because my dr. looked at me odd when I told him about the gas thing... but I know that it is gas, there is no doubt in my mind. And I have a filter in my bag, but it never seems to work after the second day--it's as if it clogs or something-do you have any pointers, ideas. I believe it clogs because the output form the ileo is more liquidy...but that is just an assumption. Be well, B

Everyone else be so well. B

Hi B,
I have a colostomy and use one piece bags which I change usually twice a day so the filters don't usually fail (though they have done a couple of times when they've got wet). I guess you have a drainable bag - so different problems to me.
Hope you and everyone are well.
Bea xx

Hello everyone,

Another crazy day for me. My colorectal MD has an opening for surgery THIS THURSDAY for the reversal. It hasn't quite sunk in that I'm not layed up for a fistula repair, never mind anticipating a reversal. But I'm up for it. Scared but excited. Hoping it will all work out better than when I got the ostomy, hopefully much better. Yikes. Anyone have any advice on what I can expect? I haven't seen my MD to ask what I'll be able to eat, etc. I imagine I'll try to look that up tonight. They'll tell me tomorrow, very last minute, if I need a prep or not. I know it takes time for everything to start working again. I just can't imagine I'll be that close to 'normal' again.

I will definitely keep you all posted. Thanks again for your support and good thoughts.

Penny

Hi Penny,
Why is things happen so fast sometimes? I'm delighted for you. The very best of luck! Let us know everything when you can.

I'd like to hear the answers about the reversal too as I hope that I will be in that situation one day too. But not having been through it yet can't help much. I've heard it can be a week before everything starts working again and much longer before your body re-learns control completely. But one step at a time!

Bea xxxx

hello everyone,

Another crazy day in my life. I was in the preop room at 7 this a.m. when they told me I had PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions) which can happen when someone is stressed (me) or from other more serious reasons (not me). My MD canceled the surgery and said she'd reschedule when she heard from a cardiologist that it was nothing serious. Couldn't believe it. We were in the hospital 6 hours waiting to get an ultrasound and then waiting to have it read and then being sent home. We just had lunch at 3 pm. So, I"m back on the waiting list, she said maybe within 2 weeks, to have my reversal done. Not sure what I'm doing about work. I guess I go back tomorrow. It's a big disappointment but after 1 1/2 years i can wait 2 weeks.

The good thing was I found out there was no prep, hurray. Hospital stay was 3-4 days and from what I've heard the worst thing is the prep for which there isn't one for me.

Hope you are all well. I'll keep you posted!
Penny

Hi Penny,
Sounds frustrating. I am sorry it didn't happen and all the stress caused the PVCs. I hope you feel OK. The time I had an abortive visit to hospital I was very stressed by the experience because you sort of psyche your self up. I hope you have time to recover or take a day off work.

On the UP side though at least you should still have the op done soon. And you found out some info on what to expect.

On a completely random note I keep trying to get this site to email me when someone posts a reply and it never happens ..... I just have to keep checking. Do you have the same problem?

Anyway I hope you are all well and have a good weekend!
Bea
xxxx

Hey Penny-sorry it didn't work out, but I am so glad you are prepared and it's on the horizon.

Bea, Hey...hope all is well with you too...

I am doing ok....nothing eventful...hoping this fistula will close up in time...and you guys are giving me hope that may happen...

Be good all, B