I'm 32 and beginning to have some fine lines on my face. I noticed that lots of people are talking about Retin A, not just as an acne treatment (I had heard of it only for acne) but also to reduce wrinkles. I am aware that Retin A can also have some side effects so I would prefer to use a very low dose if I know it will be effective. I would like your opinions. Will Retin A 0.01% help me for wrinkles, which are only very fine at the moment? I would like to see both reduction and further prevention. 

Thanks.

It will. Retin-A works as an anti-age remedy because it increases the cell turnover rate within your skin. This ultimately boosts collagen production, and that of course is one of the main things that helps maintain a young look. People who are looking for wrinkle reduction generally use a strength of 0.05%,, mind you. Your dermatologist, and you will need to see one because Retin-A is a prescription cream only, will be able to advise you well on the strength that is best suited for you. The chances are that you will be advised to start off with a weaker strength and then progress to a higher strength once your skin gets used to Retin-A.

I agree. The .01 % is a very low strength that mainly exists to help "new customers" try out Retin-A and help their skin adjust to the new regimen. This is not something you want to be using in the longer term since it will have less of an effect than higher strengths of Retin-A. This is the weakest form available, and after a while you will want more to get the full effect for your wrinkles, acne, sun spots, and whatever else you want to deal with.

I started off with retin A 0.01%. It was fine and I had no irritation, so I then got 0.05%. Again, there was no irritation and everything was fine. But, I then read an opinion piece where a plastic surgeon shared that it ultimately makes no difference in the results, wrinkle wise, whether you use Retin A with a strength of 0.01% or 0.05%. So guess what I did? That's right, I went right back to the 0.01%. When I look at pictures from before I started using and and then look in the mirror, I know that I am expeirencing the benefit from Retin A at this strength. The moral of the story is look deeper and don't dismiss retin A 0.01% before reading more. It may be all you need.

Hello, I am in week 8 of using Retin-A gel 0.01% at the moment. I am using it for acne. What I have noticed is that my skin is breaking out way more than it even was before starting Retin-A. I know that this is normal for many people who just start Retin-A even on this low dose, and knew before I started using it, but honestly I am discouraged. Unlike many other people, there is no flaking and dryness, which I was expecting, just breakouts more than usual. What do I do now? I have read everywhere that it will stop but I just can't wait to see things get better rather than worse so it is weird.

Yeah, I looked into this myself and I'm currently using some cream with retinol that doesn't even say what strength it is  but it's working well for me, so yeah, I like it. But when I looked at retin-a specifically, I did find out that less can be more, or rather more doesn't necessarily mean you get increased results and can also mean increased side effects. So I'd think it's a sane choice to make, starting with the lowest dosage and then seeing where you go from there. If you like you can try something stronger after, if things are working well for you that way that you don't even need to do that, just go with what you have...

I am using it right now for minor acne that I really wanted to get rid of, including closed comedones, and it seems that my skin has adjusted well to its use since last month. Because my skin looks much healthier now since using Retin A, I am not really thinking that it would be necessary to up the active dose of the product. It is always best to use the least you can get away with no? I am happy with the way my skin looks and if it will help me fight signs of aging in the long run, then even better!!!