I'll be 41 in a few months time. When I was younger, I had acne and oily skin. As I'm getting older, I have open pores all over my face and STILL get the odd breakout here and there, but I am also more and more wrinkled. It really bugs me. I figure I need to find a product that is good for BOTH wrinkles AND open pores. What do you recommend? I've been looking around this forum and I did not come across any suggestions that made sense to me so I am hoping that starting a new conversation will get me the answers I need.

Thanks!

Having acne and aging skin at once is a challenge! I advise a gentle cleanser, an exfoliator that contains salicylic acid, which is a great acne fighter, a good anti-age serum that is non-comedonegenic, and a light moisturizer full of antioxidants. Retinol is another wonderful ingredient that targets both aging and acne at the same time. You always need a sunscreen, but if you are using retinol, that is twice as important because it makes your skin more sensitive to the sun. With the right skincare routine, your face can look a lot different very soon, so don't give up!

Yep, wrinkles and pimples are a terrible combo! I am in the same boat. I second the suggestion to use an axfoliant with sailcylic acid. This has antiinflammatory properties and really helps. That doesn't mean you need to go at exfoliating aggressively, rubbing until your skin bleeds three times a day though. Twice a week does it nicely. I use L'Oreal Paris Go 360 Clean Anti-Breakout. Benzoyl peroxide is great for acne too, like Neutrogena Clear Pore Daily Scrub, which mind you I do not personally use but have read good things about. If your breakouts come and go in accordance with your menstrual cycle as mine do, you only need to use products made for acne affected skin when you actually have pimples.

Celebrity

Hey,

Perhaps you could use the following tips in order to try closing your pores. 

Wash your face every night, right before bed, and finish off with a splash of ice cold water once your face is completely clean. It is most important to choose a cleanser that doesn't cause your skin redness or irritation, since both will increase the appearance of open pores. Stay away from cleansers that contain sulfate. 

Personally, I have been trying the Oil Cleansing Method recently. For this, you mix half a teaspoon of castor oil, a very thick oil, with two teaspoons of olive oil. You simply massage this in with clean hands and then remove it. I use wet cotton pads but some people use wash cloths.

In addition, exfoliating every few days is also important. If you Google natural home-made exfoliators, you will come up with many interesting recipes, some with sugar, some with salt, some with oats. Too many dead skin cells will increase the appearance of wrinkles and open pores alike. Steaming with hot water is another good tip. And in the morning, make sure you splash your face with cold water too. 

It is amazing but true that you don't have to resort to using expensive skincare products to fix your problems. I hope this will help you. 

Rosie

I'm not sure about wrinkles because I'm still too young to have many of those, but for open pores I would definitely recommend Bliss Toner Daily Detoxifying Toner. I have been using it for a few months now, every morning and every evening, and I started seeing a difference within a few weeks.

I have also heard good things about Cover FX Mattifying Primer with Anti-Acne Treatment. This is said to reduce fine lines (which again I don't really need yet) as well as acne and it tightens pores to boot. Since I have no personal experience, take that with a pinch of salt, but you could look for more information about it.

That's pretty much where I am at myself, yeah. That pore minimizing toner sounds good though, and of course there's products by Benefit that are even sold in a neat set. Agent Zero Shine it's called, I'm pretty sure. There's a cream and a nose kinda stick and some other stuff. As for the general acne and wrinkles, well, of course I am surprised nobody here recommended Retin-A/retinol/general retinoids yet. Those are pretty much like the gold standard in both wrinkle and acne care so yeah, if I were you OP that's what I'd be looking into. Just saying...

I'm with you. I'm middle aged and buying Roc Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Serum was the best decision I made in a long time. Not only was my pore size dramatically reduced, but I should add that Retinol is not just for those with adult acne, but also in fact reduces wrinkles. It's not merely a sales story. My skin looks a million dollars now, and I think I am going to use this until the day I die! I tried many other things before coming to this, but it was the only thing that made a noticeable and I dare say beautiful difference to my skin.

You may also be interested in some of the factors that cause open and prominent pores in the first place:

• Being a sun junkie. Lots of sun exposure without a sunscreen, and the resulting sun damage, can cause pores to appear to be bigger and more prominent. 
  • Oily skin — big surprise there. You found this out already. People with overactive sebaceous glands have open pores. 
  • Age. Yep, pores increase in size with age. 

At least two of these things explain why you have both wrinkles and open pores. Ultimately, though creams will indeed help you, I think I would opt to see a dermatologist, who can prescribe you creams and treatments not available over the counter. 

In the meantime, it's important to take good care of your skin by exfoliating, but not too much. Twice a week will do it. Use a cleanser with salicylic acid. For Retin-A, you will need to get a prescription, so again, do go to a dermatologist. Retin-A really helps with wrinkles and acne both, so it does seem to be an ideal solution in this case, though Retin-A certainly does not work for everyone. The general tip is to start with the lowest strength possible and to work your way up from there.