I had been using retin-a for about a year when I decided to stop and try epiduo instead. It worked well for my skin overall, but now after around four months of using epiduo I am seeing some pimples again. I like the way it is generally working, with fewer side effects, but I also still do have scars left over from acne. I am actually starting to wonder why nobody mentions using both at the same time, retin-a and epiduo. Is there some reason not to do this or is it a good idea? If you've done it or know of some reason not to, could you please reply?

Thanks!

Celebrity

I am no expert on this, but I have heard people talk about it being a bad idea to use both epiduo and Retin A at the same time. Some mention using them on alternating days, however. My impression was that epiduo and Retin A work in very much the same way, making me wonder if you really benefit from using both. Like I said though, I am not sure, and I would just have a talk to your doctor about it next time you see them. They know your skin best and know what is best for it .

Rosie

Just a thought here (though yeah, some people do use both retin a and epiduo but like already said not on the same day, so yeah, you can ask your doc about that for sure), but have you have tried having salicylic acid peels? For many people who are on retin a and still have some stubborn acne this works like a charm. They're fairly mild so it won't be like you have that downtime of weeks on end either. It's something worth thinking about if you haven't already I figure. May be better than more of the same, you know?

The combination of epiduo and tretinoin is incredibly drying! Like others already said too, they are a lot of the same thing. epidup has a form of retinoids as well as benzoyl peroxide and is generally considered to be the more potent product. Depending on how long you have been using epiduo and depending on whether it's scar fading or active acne you're worried about, you should either continue treatment with some more patience or consider talking about oral treatments as well. Good luck!

I have acne. I often read along here, articles and forums, but have never replied before. I've considered asking for a Retin A prescription for a while already and had never heard of epiduo. I know that benzoyl peroxide is a great thing for acne as well though.

That now leaves me ??? about this; what is better, Retin A or Epiduo??? Should I ask for Epiduo instead then? Since I would just be starting and wouldn't consider both at once this veers off topic I know, but this topic seems as good as any to ask this question since I learned about Epiduo here. Advice appreciated.

I did use epiduo and retin-a both together for exactly the reason the op said, to remove scars from acne... it did work though I admit that my skin got quite dry at the end. That was only a temporary thing though whereas the scars could of been permanent if I hadn't tried to do something about them, kwim? I now stopped using and and just using retinol OTC for maintenance. I am happy with the result and can say it is a good choice for some.

I was just prescribed retina and epiduo to use together. What was your routine like?