I have acne prone skin that I would really like to clear up. Retin-A is what everyone recommends but after reading about it I have decided I would rather stay away from that. I am trying to conceive my first baby at the moment and I have read that it is not known whether Retin-A is safe or dangerous during pregnancy. Also, I spend a lot of time outdoors and I saw that Retin-A can make you more sensitive to sunlight. 

Are there any safer alternatives to Retin-A creams, natural things that don't come with potential side effects?

Looking forward to replies!

I'd recommend you look into Manuka honey. It's very safe and even used in hospitals as alternative wound dressings now that antibiotic resistance is on the rise. There have been several scientific studies in which researchers confirmed that using Manuka oil combats bacteria and promotes the healing of scars. It is also a powerful antioxidant. This makes it have a lot of potential when you look at acne treatment.

If you are looking for a completely natural acne treatment, I have a few suggestions.

1. Baking soda, which has antibacterial properties and works as a natural exfoliator at the same time.
2. Tea tree oil is another very powerful natural antibacterial. You just need a little bit. Five or so drops in a cup will do it, then use cotton wool to apply to your skin.
3. Aloe is great for reducing redness and calming the skin.
4 Lemon juice helps fight pigmentation as well as acne. Just squeeze a lemon and apply the juice to your skin for about 15 minutes, then wash off.

I am not going to go as far as to say that they work as well as Retin-A (which I have never personally used but I do know it is very powerful). I will say that these things work pretty well for my mild acne. They certainly don't have any potential side effects other than a slight burning sensation for the lemon and tea tree oil.

I have very acne prone skin and tried Retin-A way back. It was an absolute disaster and I vowed never to use retinols of any kind ever again, including the over the counter products that are supposed to be so much better. It was that bad. When someone told me about rosehip seed oil for acne, I decided to try that out. It is a natural product. With frequent use, it really brightens the skin and minimizes acne. You can either put it directly on the skin or mix some in with your moisturizer or BB cream.

Hello everyone!

I looked around for threads about Retin-A and this one looks like it is the right place to post my question. I don't have acne. I do, however, have an aging skin that is showing some signs of hyperpigmentation, and Retin-A is being recommended for that. While I might be a candidate for Retin-A, I would first like to explore if there are any natural alternatives that would deal with my skin issues just as well and that do not require a prescription. I have heard about over the counter creams that work in a similar way, for instance.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

Rosehip oil from The Organic Pharmacy is what I use. I have some sun damage and pigmentation issues from where I had acne before, and this after using so many chemicals on my skin over the years, which I suspected was causing long term damage, I wanted to detox my skin so I switched to natural products only. The rosehip oil feels wonderful on my skin. I still use it now but after six weeks I noticed that the pigmentation started getting better.

Well, Retin-A has a lot of scientifically proven benefits that make it ideal for a lot of people, but the fact remains that you need a prescription for it, and with the follow up appointments you will also attend it may end up being a bit of a hassle. Retinol, on the other hand, is available over the counter. Less potent than Retin-A, Retinol does have all the same effects that Retin-A has if you use it regularly, but also with fewer side effects, so less sun sensitivity, less peeling, less redness... BUT of course it will take you longer to see results. In return for that, though, you can just go out and get it today without needing to see a doctor.

If Retin-A is giving you flaky, dry, wrinkly skin (which can happen during the first few months of use, and not everyone likes that), or you simply don't want a prescription cream, or you aren't sure whether Retin-A is right for you, an alternative you might like is Moth Bean Extract. Like Retin-A, it stimulates collagen production and renews the cells. Unlike Retin-A, it does not have the side effects of causing redness and irritation. This should be a completely safe alternative in your situation. If you have acne, your skin has a slower renewal rate, and Moth Bean Extract will help you with that.

Retin-A has been around for decades now. It is the one thing that has been proven, beyond a doubt, to help with acne, wrinkles, and pigment spots and to lead to a bright, clean complexion. Those are an awful lot of benefits within a single cream. You can certainly look for natural alternatives that would lead you to accomplish just one of the benefits of Retin-A, but in Retin-A, you have a unique package deal that has been studied extensively, and about which you know it is effective. Retin-A, is, of course, a vitamin A derivative. Does that not count as being natural? Not that natural is always better. Is is actually true that Retin-A has not been proven to be safe during pregnancy as not many studies have been done to find out. However, pregnancy lasts nine months, and after that I would definitely investigate using Retin-A.