I'm considering whether I should try to get a prescription for Retin A for my acne at the minute. Before I decide, I am just gathering some general info about Retin A. One thing I am curious about is whether Retin A will act as a skin moisturizer all on its own, or whether I would need to still use a moisturizer before applying Retin A. If so, are there any moisturizers that are not compatible with the use of Retin A? 

People who have experienced with Retin A only please. There is so much misinformation out there, and I really want to get this straight.

Studies into this topic have shown that it does not matter whether you apply Retin-A first, or your moisturizer first. However, it is very important to use a moisturizer in conjunction with Retin-A, and at least twice a day. Here are some further tips on how to use Retin-A correctly:

• The lowest concentration of Retin-A is 0.01 percent. Most people do best if they start with a very low dose and gradually work their way up. You need to discuss the exact starting dose with the person who will prescribe you Retin-A. Most people can start with 0.025 percent.
  • Retin-A works best on dry skin. Make sure that you let your washed face dry completely, so about 10 minutes, before you apply Retin-A. 
  • You only need a tiny amount, no bigger than a pea. 
  • Only use Retin-A at night. 
  • Be very good about using a sunscreen every day, because Retin-A increases sun sensitivity. 
  • Don't be afraid to not use it every day if using it every day irritates your skin. 

With these tips in hand, you should be absolutely fine. The key is NOT to order Retin-A on the internet and to use it by yourself, but to go to a dermatologist to get a prescription. This means you have the support you need and a person to turn to with all your questions.

Celebrity

Retin-A is not a moisturizer, but a prescription skincare product that targets wrinkles and acne. I have seen what plastic surgeons have to say about this, and they are very clear: you absolutely need to use Retin-A in conjunction with a moisturizer. They also say, though, that it does not matter which one you apply first, the Retin-A or the moisturizer. As long as you make sure your skin is well-hydrated, you are fine. However, if you are already getting a Retin-A prescription, I would absolutely take the time to ask your derm for a moisturizer recommendation so you know you are doing the best you can give to your skin.

Rosie

Of course you could just go for retinol, which yeah, can be a straight moisturiser with other stuff in it too so in that case you don't have to worry about when to moisturise or which moisturiser you need, or any of that stuff. I love mine. I don't know whether the real Retin-A actually gets better results, but for me I'm liking this one plenty fine :). I'd hate to have to go to a doctor to get a face treatment to be honest, mainly 'cause I don't have any real problems I just wanna look better and get started on the anti-age thing as well.

I have been applying Retin-A prior to moisturizing for a long time. My idea is that it's most important that the Retin-A, which I need for acne, gets absorbed into my skin. Moisture will come later. I usually wait around half an hour. I don't know if this is what other people also typically do, but I can assure you that it has been working for me nicely, so I will continue doing that. What you do is up to you, and it may take some experimenting before you find a routine you are comfortable with for yourself. It's all okay, as long as it works for you.

Thank you for giving me an answer to my question! I have actually made an appointment with my doctor where I will ask for Retin A now, so please wish me luck and hope with me, that this will be the right fit for my skin and I will get a prescription without any problems! I think I am prepared now: I need to moisturize and use sunscreen every day. Is there anything else I need to do or avoid? I will ask my doctor this of course, but my doctor is a man and I assume that you people know better what it is like to use this. I can put makeup on as normal, correct?

Well, gal, best of luck ti you! I know how exciting it is to finally be face to face with something that might well solve all the skin issues you've been having. Just make sure to answer all questions you may get about your skin and other medical conditions you may have, and you'll be fine. Also ask how you can avoid the uglies, which is a stage some people go trough on retinol products where their skin looks, like, well bad for quite a while. And that's why it's bad to order stuff online, folks! These products are really best used with the support of a medical pro!

I am new to this as well and only just looking into this, but what I heard is you have to wait half an hour before you apply retin-a. So you would first be washing your face and placing a moisturizer, say when you get up, and then after breakfast apply retin-a. I have also heard that retin-a micro works differently, has all the same benefits but is released more slowly and has a lower amount, and you don't need to wait before applying it after washing and moisturizing. So i am thinking retin-a micro sounds like a good solution for me.

I have listened to the opinions of different dermatologists about this, and it seems that they have some conflicting ideas! Some say that it does not matter, while others say you should wash your face, leave it to dry, wait 30 minutes and then apply your Retin-A without a moisturizer. They advise that you use Retin-A at night rather than in the morning, in any case. Because some of this will depend on your individual skin and your treatment plan, I would just do what my dermatologist recommends.

Did you know that if you apply Retin A to moist skin, it is MUCH, MUCH more likely to cause irritation to the skin, those so called uglies? That is why people advise you to wait a while after washing your face before applying Retin A, to make sure that your skin is completely dry. For the same reason I would not moisturize before using Retin A but afterwards. If you apply it in the evening you do not need to moisturize at all, just use the Retin A and be done with it.