My mom was diagnosed with Scleroderma after years of being mis-diagnosed with Raynauds Disease. I understand the symptoms of both diseases are very similar. In my past research I learned that "Scleroderma" is not hereditary. Unfortunately, my sister was diagnosed with Scleroderma just recently at age 40. I also have been told that the life expectancy of someone with Scleroderma is 8-10 yrs.. Is that
generally true? My mom is living proof that Scleroderma can be comfortably maintained. Although, lately it seems the disease is taking a toll. We don't REALLY know how long my mom has had the disease but since the "Scleroderma" diagnosis it has been over 6 years and her purple fingers have been around for more than 20 yrs. My sisters condition is considerably advanced. She just recently has been told that she has "Turrets Scleroderma" (sp?). I am confused! When I hear of Turrets/Touretts I think of Touretts Syndrome (tic disease ie sudden fidgiting) is this all one in the same? My sister is now experiencing WAY more pain and discomfort than my mom ever has in the
past years. I tend to beleive that it is my sisters "lifestyle" that is making things worse and so advanced(smokes cigarettes, marijuana, works midnights in factory, has taken diet pills on regular basis in the past). My sister has lost 28 lbs in the last 5 months (107lbs now). I am just really confused! Is there some sort of blood test, even though I have no symptoms, that I can take to see if I have Scleroderma as well? I am about to start a family and would hate to carry this on to another generation. How is Turrets and Scleroderma connected? Is this the same as Touretts Syndrome? Can you recommend an informative website?

Scleroderma is a chronic degenerative disease and actually means the hardening of the skin. It usually appears in the third to fifth decades of life and is a very progressing disease. It is important to know that symptoms differ from person to person, it is though possible for one to live with it without any serious troubles, like it is the case with your Mom. The real cause of scleroderma is still unknown but it is not contagious. It is important for you to know that it is not passed from one generation to the next, but there are always exceptions which is really rare. So if you even were diagnosed to be having this disease, you shouln’t be worried you would pass it on your kids. The symptoms of scleroderma are hardening of the skin, usually in hands, face and feet, skin discoloration, shiny skin, numbness of extremitets, swelling of the hands and feet, itching of the skin, fatigue, shortness of breath, heavy breathing etc. Have you ever experienced any of these synptoms? As the matter of diagnosis, it is made by a medical history, physical examination and diagnostic tests which include skin biopsy, pulmonary function studies for the lungs, chest X-rays, studies of gastrointestinal function, and electrocardiography (EKG of the heart) etc.

:-S i have scleroderma i used to weight 206 and seven months later i weight 142 and i hurt really bad with mine tell me why it made me loose weight