I've been diagnosed with scleroderma (morphea) about a year ago and my doctor is still having me take Plaqunil and I can't say it isn't helping, but I'm also afraid that even though the drug works now it still could cause me additional problems on top of what I have to deal with. Its prolonged use can irreversibly damage retina and kidneys, so I'm trying to find any alternatives to this medication.

One of the supplements that seem to have helped some people with scleroderma is MSM or Methylsulfonylmethane. All I managed to find about it so far is that at least it has no side effects, but all the info about how effective it was sounds somewhat over-blown. However, even though I still haven’t found any info about it being helpful for sarcoidosis patients, maybe someone tried it? It’s usually used as a supplement for arthritis, but I’d be grateful for any info about MSM.

even though what you said about Plaquil side effects is true, if you aren't experiencing any side effects from the medication now, a regular control of your vision and kidney functions could help you use Plaquil for as long as you're having normal results. Also, you should talk to your doctor about stopping Plaquil and any alternative treatments. If you're symptom free now, than it's best to try to keep things like that.

MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) didn't really prove to be nearly effective as advertised. It does offer some pain relief to arthritis patients, but even the FDA banned it to be marketed as a supplement that has therapeutic effects. The supplement itself isn't harmful, only the chance for it to be effective in helping you to manage scleroderma are very low.

Wish you all the best, 

Nicole

I use msm every day and I have sclerderma and it helps me more than I can say. Of course the FDA will ban it.. IT WORKS!!! HELLO!!!

i agree, anything the FDA say i go the other way!!!!!