Hi, I would like if someone could explain to me the connection between Seroquel and diabetes. You see, my mother has been prescribed Seroquel for her bipolar disorder. But, I worry since my grandmother had diabetes that Seroquel might induce this condition in my mothers case. The doctor says there is a very small chance of this happening and that I shouldnt worry. Do the benefits of Seroquel outweigh the risk of diabetes?

Hi, Seroquel has proved as a very good drug in treatment of bipolar disorder and other psychotic episodes. But, it is not the only drug used for these conditions. There are many other antipsychotics that may help your mother just as well. You have every right to worry about her health. Scientists have proven that Seroquel can cause diabetes, especially in people with family history of this illness. Since your grandmother had diabetes, the chances of your mother developing this condition because of the usage of Seroquel are very high. Because the mechanism of action of Seroquel is not known, the scientists do not know exactly why Seroquel causes diabetes in some people. Try talking to your mothers doctor again about your worries. Maybe he is not familiar with your family history of diabetes. And even though bipolar disorder is a very serious condition that demands medical attention, there is no point in treating one condition only to lead the patient into the next one. As I said, there are many drugs used to treat bipolar disorder and I am positive that between you, you will be able to find the therapy that will best suite your mothers needs.

I know this is an old post but if anyone like me is reading it today id like to share my experience with seroquel. Ive been diagnosed with bipolar for 14 years and ive been on lots of different medications to help with my illness. 7 years into having bipolar my life was hell, psycosis, paranoia, self harm, nightmare, then finally my doctor prescribed seroquel. Im been taking seroquel for 7 years and currently take it till this day. I take 750mgs daily and for me its been a wonder medication, ive been so well id never stop it unless i was dying. I dont have diabetes and there is no family history of diabetes either. If there was a history of diabetes then id discuss it with my doctor and probably request to have regular blood sugar tests and blood pressure tests, in fact if anything over the years of seroquel ive had low blood pressure, ive never experienced dizzyness.
Your question regarding pro's/con's like the post before mine says there are so many different medications to treat bipolar which you can discuss with your doctor.
I wish your mother all the best and hope things work out
(30 year old from britain with bippolar)

i was diagnosed w/ bipolar disorder 12 years ago. Before taking Seroquel, every day was a struggle. The first day I took Seroquel, I was completely recovered. I have been taking 200 mgs. Of Seroquel for the past 4 years. For the past year, I have discontinued all bipolar medications except Seroquel. Although I am thin, vegetarian and have no diabetic relatives, I developed diabetes. I plan to continue taking Seroquel. It gave me my life back.

i have been diagnosed bipolar I, a rapid cycler, since 1999. My first antipsychotic was Seroquel 600mgs daily, and by 2001 I was diabetic and had gained over 85lbs.  My eating had not changed one bit and before I was a normal size 10/12 and very very healthy (I am also 5'10).  Diabetes runs in my family though, on both sides.  By 2005 i went off Seroquel but remained diabetic, controlled through pills.  In 2009, at the request of my now ex husband, i went on Seroquel XR 600mgs daily.  I gained 108lbs, WHILE eating nothing but healthy lean meats and veggies.  I became insulin dependent in less than 2 months after starting this drug again, XR or not.

I have been off Seroquel, in any form, since 10/1/2011, it is now 1/17/2012 and i have dropped 58lbs with no change in eating or drinking habits.  My sugars on Seroquel XR were in the high 300s, now without they are in the high 100s, sometimes low 200s.  I will never NOT be diabetic.  My PCP says I can be 110lbs and i would still be diabetic.  I am a type 2 but my classification is medicine induced.

I did not find Seroquel any better than the Thorazine, the Resperidone, nor Depakote (please forgive my misspellings).

None of these drugs have brought me full relief of my bipolar...except one thing...my divorce. I only started the antipsychotics to keep my husband happy and obviously it did not work. Due to the diabetes and other side effects from the drugs, he dropped me for a "healthy" person. He was very clear my declining health and issues made me not worth his time, after 14yrs, knowing I took these pills for him, not myself, because he would divorce me and take our son...and he did divorce me anyways but we share our son 50/50 because i am not a harm to myself nor anyone else and have been under a shrinks care since 1998.

Now away from his constant stress, i am on a 50mg dose of thorazine daily and have had not one mood swing since Feb 2011.  It is funny, I was mentally well before my marriage and not even 2 years in diagnosed with bipolar I rapid cycler , severe anxiety, panic attacks and PTSD from a very traumatic miscarriage. Also my incredibly bad insomnia is gone...I get a full 8 hours a night, when before if I got 2-3 I was thrilled.

I still wonder, when not around my ex-we have a 12yr old so some contact is required-if I truly am ill...My shrink, who I adore, says we will never know.

That is my struggle with Seroquel.  Just be informed. Do not think your doctor, nor pharmacy cares that much to do research, it is up to you!!! 
Best of luck!!

A:) I really hope the Thorazine continues to work for you. I'm really sorry about the trouble you have had in your marriage. I can empathize with you. I've gone through some discord myself. Stay strong. Now that you can sleep, I know you will have the strength to fight this bipolar sh*t! I'll say a prayer for you tonight. Sincerely, your friend in Texas :)

To put an end to: Does or can serequel ER CAUSE DIEBETIS.........

WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO IS LOOK AT THE CHEMICAL COMPOSITIO at time of suggestion.N OF QUEITIMINE FUMERATE

a) what ectually queitimine is : and

B) WHAT FUMERATE IS

C) how these to chemicals combine in one composition and make your own intelligent guess about this . I think ull find the dangers in the fumerate and in the compositions which keep the tablets together. This is clearly stated in the medical sheets given by Astra Zenca with eACH TABLET BOX. Any chemicals which can effect blood sugar levels in anypossible way to create the possibility of type 1 or 2 diebetis in short term/ long term should simply be rejected by the patient .IT IS DANGEROUS TO MAINTAIN TREATMENT ALSO IN ANYWAY WITH THIS COMPOUND IF U HAVE ALREADY GOT ANY FORM OF DIEBETIS.

LOOK THESE COMPOUNDS UP ON GOOGLE AND UNDERSTAND WHAT U ARE TAKING AND DEDUCE FOR YOURSELF WITH WHAT DIEBETIS ACTUALY IS  HOW THIS COMPOUND CAN CREATE DIEBETIS AND SHOULD NEVER BE GIVEN TO CONCURRENT DIEBETICS.

HAPPY HOMEWORK.COM

my name is dionnej and I know believe that serquel has caused me some health problems, i started first gaining weight over a 100 pounds then found out my cholestrol was high as hell, and then last found out that I know have Diabities, did some research and found out with me taking serquel it can all lead up to all these elements know. Know questioning why wouldnt any one tell me the consequences.