Hello! I have a question for you. I want to know can a diabetic patient take Seroquel. My mother in law has schizophrenia and I have heard that Seroquel is very good in schizophrenia treatment. But, my mother in low has diabetes type 1, too. So, I really need answer on my question and I hope that you will provide me one. Thank you!

Hello! You must tell to her doctor that she has diabetes. This is very important, because Seroquel is strongly not recommended to people which have risk of getting diabetes. One of side effects of this atypical antipsychotic drug is diabetes. So, I think that doctor will need to prescribe some other drug for your mother in law.

As long as you check your blood sugar levels, you will be ok. :-D

Hi there,
The thing is that Seroquel is very good medication for schizophrenia. Also it is used to treat bipolar disorder as well. I think that one study showed that people who use Seroquel may even develop diabetes during the treatment. The thing is that this medication caused high blood sugar and with combination of diabetes it can cause very serious reaction, including even death. I don’t think that they know why this happens so in my opinion the best option would be to find another drug that can help your mother in law. Did she talk to her doctor about this and did he maybe suggest any other treatment options? Diabetes is very complicated illness.
All the best,
Danella