Hi all

I need some information.
My Dr. prescribed me Seroquel 100mg and told me that it's a sleeping tablet, I have looked it up on the net and what he says and what the net says are two different things. Is he wrong? Maybe it is for something else and can it help you sleep?

Info asap would be appreciated.

Hello, Seroquel is not a sleeping Medication. It is a anti-psychotic that is used to treat schizophrenia and/or Bipolar Disorder. It does however, have sedative effects, which is why new Patients are often told to take it at night. It does work, I used to take it but stopped when I didn't like the next day drowsiness anymore! Hope this helps...go kick your Doc in the Hind End!

jardimclaudia, I'm sorry to hear what your doctor prescribed you does not function as intended. Do you have insomnia and are you trying to get better quality sleep? I think that you might want to consider seeing a different doctor because I think that this has been a rather disturbing breach of trust with your doctor. PLease let us know how it goes okay?

I agree with healthnfitnessguy! It has indeed been a breach of trust, and I do believe you should go see a different doc. If you are looking into sleeping medications, there is plenty. There is Ambien, Ambien CR, Rozarem, Lunesta, Restoril, etc., plus many times Anti-Anxiety Medications like Xanax and Valium are sedative and therefore used for sleep issues. I have tried all but the Rozarem (with doc's prescription of course) and have finally decided that I get whatever I can out of the Ambien (4 hrs at a shot on good days) and other then that I am not ment to sleep! Of course you can always give the non-prescription meds like benadryl a shot. Or the Herbal Supplements, like Melatonin occurs naturally in the body and is ment to regulate the wake/sleep cycle, or Valerian which has sedative properties...at this point, what can it hurt, right?! And yes, please let us know how it goes!

I wonder if you hadn't considered just doing an over the counter drug or something like that instead. Why did your doctor prescribe a sleeping pill for you anyway? Are you having trouble sleeping or is it just because you need some sort of sedative? I think it should help me to know what the actual context is. Thanks!

If your doctor told you too use it for sleeping purposes theres obviously a reason, my doc prescribed me the same thing for the same reasons. these people aren't qualified to help you. don't listen to them.

like he said i was detoxon on oxy cotin and had a hard time say asleep and still at nigh it really help i did have a bit pasty in the morning in my mouth but sleep like a baby made thng a lot bet not i was takin clanzpam 2 mg a day to but does help u sleep peace full slows down the brain and nerves hope any of this helps

Sleeping is a side effect but it is for bipolor  and Helpful in the Treatment of Psychotic Disorders  because i am taking them.You need to see another doctor.

seroquel can legitimately be prescribed to help one sleep. this was told to me by my psychiatrist and it does help me sleep. if u read the description of it - it will say that it can be used for "other" uses besides its main use - the "other" in my/many cases is to help one sleep.

zeroquel is not for sleep , you need to take in the time for the effect that this pill produce in your system. I started because I have an disorder emotional and panick attack and we tried with a lot different pills I think you need add more details because everyboyd say something according with the less important thing, sleep. If your doctor use seroquel is because you have something elese, if you don'thave something else you will not ever get seroquel I am for sure about that.

Good luck

I DO get seroquel now JUST to help me sleep - so you are wrong. As a matter of fact, the latest bottle I got has a warning saying that it can make one drowsy. I picked this bottle of 90 pills up on 12-28-11. Also, the bill/invoice that my doctor sent to my drug coverage plan says that I meet with her for medication management only and that is all it says.

I DO get seroquel now JUST to help me sleep - so you are wrong. As a matter of fact, the latest bottle I got has a warning saying that it can make one drowsy. I picked this bottle of 90 pills up on 12-28-11. Also, the bill/invoice that my doctor sent to my drug coverage plan says that I meet with her for "medication management" only and that is all it says. She has me come in every 4 months and she also has me take a blood test every 4 months because certain elements/chemicals etc. need to be monitored when on Seroquel. Maybe u need a new doctor?

No..He is not wrong...but it is also to treat other mental coinditions..I'm on 100 MGTB at bed time so I can sleep...since I was very young I have heard music and groups of people talking inside my head>>>NO!..>They are not talking to me..or telling me what to do..It's just an annoying thing that keeps me awake. And this medication works GREAT!>>But it's a little strong...You need to be ready to sleep>>>Atleast in my case..I've only took it once..last night>01/18/12..and I took it before I ate..finished watching a program and other end's and odd's etc....I passed out in many different spots in my house, before I finally got into my bed..then slept like a baby for 12 hrs...Felt great when I finally got out of my bed. And It's also used for those who experience>>Schizophrenia....Hope this message helps...Take! Care!>>>Tray.

tray - who is wrong and why is that person wrong? I am tommyf and what u said seems to agree with me that seroquel can be prescribed to help one sleep - so if I am wrong - how? Thank You!

It was originally used and is categorized as a : ANTI :-@ -PSYCHOTIC"