My son has anger issues and the psychiatrist says he may be exhibiting early forms of bipolar disorder. I my self am bipolar. The doctor would like to try Seroquel for my son. Is there an issue with weight gain with this medicine? Also will this make him angrier?

Hey...PLEASE stay away from any antipsychotics! We have been dealing with these drugs for 2 years with our 15 year old daughter. They are like poison and the Doctors act like all the side affects are not that bad. They will cause alot more issues for you. Yes and yes there will be weight gain! They cause children to hear things, cause problems with blood sugar, children want to kill themselves. It is heartbreaking... worse then your problem began with find some other way... or other medicine... don't let them talk you into these drugs! They will make you child crazy!!

Find me a boy who does not express anger, as he grows through the first 18 years of his life, there are usually reasons; and especially with such a stressful environment as it is now?! Our society advocates drug dependency, as a fast and easy choice, which can be devastating in most cases of young people. Counselling may be a welcomed and more reasonable alternative (any personal dilemmas can possibly be more easily confronted, and a problem less). There may be other ways, and grounds of expression, and communication for you both to find. It is difficult for most any parent supporting a child, but your lives could become more difficult than you can imagine if your child is expected to have issues, disorder, and problems leading to drug dependency (in sequels). Please consider, that however shocking or dramatic your son's anger may seem, unless literally life threatening, perhaps it is his natural reaction to something not yet understood? I believe that making the wrong choices can make us weaker, but making the right choices makes us stronger. If we facilitate illness, then we progress in illness, but when we facilitate healing then we strengthen through healing. I wish you and your son good health, happiness, and success (love and light)

My GRANDAUGHTER was diagnosed with lead poisoning at 29mths old ,.. Up until she was about 5/6 she was fine, her school work was good , things began to change as far as her behavior.. I felt this was due to the lead poison, she began getting suspended & eventually began mental health therapy,.. At which time the Dr. Prescribed medication the first being concerta.     As the years went by I questioned each Dr. As to " WHY" they felt this to be the best therapy?.. & I wanted information on these drugs !! I even ask them " IF " they'd give them to their OWN CHILDREN ??? The sad part is,is that most Dr.s Dont have KIDS !               by the time she was 9/10 she was in the Court hands , threatnd with being Put away I chose to admitted her to a Day Hospital program ... 11months down the line I realized I'd been lied to by the administrator of this school,& I took her out There was no education at all & the only thing they were doing was Medicating the children !! & watching them interacting with each other ( which was Fighting Every day as the Van brought her home & the  bus monitor would let them ?!   I'd be SO Angry, Well, by the time she was 15 she had been placed by the court & has been 302'd at least 3 times & forced to take medications she has been on concerta Risperdal  Zyprexa & Finally Seroquel  She tried to kill herself in 2007 ( I was in the Hospital getting both knees replaced )  she'd taken some pills . & was on suicide watch for 10  days I don't know what meds they were giveing her? She was 14 ... She was in a facility for about 5 mths. So far away I could'nt visit her,but the therapy was the same Pills !  ..her last hospitalization was closer to home & I'd visit her every week, She would not take the meds & they refused to release her , she was there several mths.  On the meds she gained a lot of weight  going from about 100 lbs to 135lbs. In 2/3 mths.  She came home stop taking the meds& got pregnant & that was the beginning of her totally melting down she stayed in mental health therapy but not on meds. She'd began scaring herself I thought it was for attention , but it was something more sinister going on she had another child ,.. 4 mths later ..She was gone she took her life on 3/31/2012   Here was a child who's body was already compromised by lead poisoning but the system forced her to further be poisoned with these drugs that she was forced to take !