Hello, folks. My father has some liver problems. I think it is mostly caused by longtime alcohol consumption. He stopped drinking and he is “sober” for almost two years. However, liver has begun showing some side effects. Someone recommended us milk thistle. I would like to know if this can show some side effects or not.

Hi, there. I have also heard about the benefits of milk thistle. It is indeed recommended as liver tonic. Some researches show that if milk thistle is combined with official treatment can show benefits in treating diabetes. Very few side effects are reported. It is considered to be safe for use for 41 months. It can cause diarrhea. Sometimes it even causes vomiting and nausea. If someone suffers from ragweed allergy, he/she shouldn’t take milk thistle. Consult an expert if you need more info. Good luck!