I have been feeling depressed, put on a ton of weight in a short space of time, and I feel tired all day long. Because of this, I suspect that I have an underactive thyroid, and I would like to look into the medication used to treat this condition. What are the side effects of medication used to treat an underactive thyroid?

If you have hypothyroid, you will probably be given a thyroxine replacement. Because it is so important to make sure that the dosage is correct, you will be started off on a low dose, and it can be gradually built up. Due to this approach, it is unlikely that you will experience any side effects.

Hello there.

You have probably heard from your friends who suffer from hypothyroid that these are the symptoms (feeling tired and depressed, overweight in short period of time etc.) of this condition but as I can realize from your post you actually haven’t been diagnosed with hypothyroid.

If you suspect that you suffer from hypothyroid than you should visit your doctor and get confirmation of this suspicion.  After some testing you will know for sure and you will be prescribed certain medications. The dosage is very important so in the beginning isn’t likely you will experience any side effects. Later on you will figure out together with your doctor what is the best dose for you and you will see changes.