I suffer from under active thyroid. I recently developed stomach problems too. I am starting to think that is related to my thyroid problem. Stomach problems started soon after I began with therapy. I am on drug called thyroxine. Please, tell me is it possible that these two conditions are connected.

It is possible that hey are related, because drug thyroxine, which is the main hormone made by the thyroid, is sometimes used to shrink thyroids back to a normal size and thyroid hormone affects almost all of the body's metabolic processes. I read some study about it and it showed that patients who received therapy for thyroid have developed an inflammation, irritation, or erosion of the stomach's lining or infection with Helicobacter pylori. You should discus this with the person that prescribe you drug. It is possible that you need a different dose or even different drug.

hi. can you tell me what sort of stomach pains you get taking thyroxine as my mum was diagnosed after a hysterectomy and is in pain?

hi, my name is john im 19, and for the past two or three months i havebeen having stomache problems. When i eat a full dinner, within 20 minutes or half an hour im hungry again, and keeps on going on, and on, i been to the doctor, he said might be a thyroid problem, first time i heard of that, but do you think thats why im feeling like that allthe time? My stomache feels upset, and uncomfortable aswell, when i've eatin, and whne i havnt. hope you go give me some details and advise, thanks, john.

Hi all, I have been ill for a lot of years witht thyroid related illness. After two prescribed overdoses of thyroxine my stomach is horrific! I am in the UK and have only had a scan, and they really don't seem to care about the fact I am either in pain with it, can't breathe or have such horrific wind I couldn't go out. I can't even go out for a meal in case it sets it off! They have said they think it's reflux and oesophogitis, as my throat is also badly effected, I can't even swallow small pills now. I'm taking lanzoprosole and motilium without which I'm in serious trouble. They have said I'm allergic to thyroxine but I have the syrup form now, they won't put me on anything else as it is not licensed here. But I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience, what is wrong with my stomach and if I can make it better!?

Tink x

:) What you have is under-lying
problems which can be treated. Doctors can be
real horrible. One thing more thyroxine is far
better than ephedra due to the fact that thyroxine
cure more than one dis-order. Ephedra there is
not a thing wrong with it, except it had a bad rap
in the press.. like the saying go gun bad gun bad.
Until the people perception go to gun is indeed
bad. Which is not true.

I am not sure about in your case, but here, it is
mention that thyroxine is poison. I think the
manufacture of the drug want to protect it own
skin. Well, I have taken massive amount of
doses in thyroxine in to cure various dis-orders and
due to the fact, I am a very heavy smoker, 60
cigarettes a day. My blood pressure is normal.
The heart is working normal. I have taken about
30 thyroxine (50 mcg tablet each "when it is
recommended just take 2 tablets a day") for 7
days. I am just fine.

Please, as a disclaimer from me, do not try to
over dose unless you feel that you be fine both in
mind and body. I do not want people to say,
that I was to be blame, if they read this post of
mine fully, taken a over dose of thyroxine and
then fall sick. Each person is not the same.

I to have suffered because I have had 2 thirds of my thyroid removed and have been given Thyroxine. I have had bad stomach problems for 6 months now and the doctors have been treating me for acid reflux. Has anyone been given an answer or different medication. I have wind pain constipation and bad stomach problems unable to eat regular meals. Please Help!!

Hello I'm 20 and have low thyroid they say i have to wait another 3 months to be tested, before they can put me back on thyroxine. They say i have hashimotos disease. My doctor said eat sleep and exercise reguarly. I have lost 7KG'S i have a sore stomach all the time, and i'm exhausted. I have been taking atleast 2 days of work and its been going on for about 3 months. I Have been on thyroxine but it stopped my period so i came off it. I just want some answers PLEASE help

I am 51, have had low thyroid, so severe the doctors say they do not know how i am getting up out of bed, i am on 200 milg. of levothyroxin, i am having the same issues with my stomach, it is mostly pain in my left side of stomach but last few days in middle, right under my ribcage...i am having nausa, cold chils, and when i have all this discomfort i have either sever diahrea or constipation..and then my stomach stays very sore , almost like there is a big knot in stomach, can even see a difference in size, like swollen in that area. I have been seen by specilaist and had a colonoscopy and all they told me was hemroids..and gas.. :-( ..can this be also related to the thyroid therapy, i have been on a doseage for over ten years.

I have this EXACT same problem. Only differene is this happens when I have not taken my meds for a few weeks. Like right now I have been off my meds for like 3 weeks and I have severe stomach pains after everything I eat. Even water and bread. This also comes with not being able to have a bowel movement for days. When I take my medicine I go to the bathroom every day and can eat what I want. Make sure its not because you have missed your dosage.

I am 36 and have identical symptoms. I take 100 mg eltroxin for my thyroid and pariet for my stomache. It usually helps but not always. After all that I am putting on weight too, no matter what I eat. Crazy. Doctors don't know what to say. Isn't there anyone out there who can actually treat this??

Hi!
I was treated with radioactive iodine last year because of Graves, in april. Two months after the treatment, i had stomach problems, too. Doc diagnosed reflux biliaris, and i`m suffering with this since then. I`m not sure, that reflux can cause bowel pain, my whole abdomen hurts. My TSH level is 3.75 now, doc says it`s ok, it`s in the range, but ì` have symptoms, i`m cold all the time, very tired, and this abdomen problems. I think, my drug dose is not enough, but 125 microgramm was too much (i went hyper again), so i continue the 100 microgramm, but i`m not well...
My idea is, that my tsh should be lower to feel better, maybe i`m hypo with 3.75, and so my stomach and bowels hurt because of it...
I managed to ask my doctor, to rise my dose, now i get 100 microgram for one day, 125 on every second day, and hope that it will help. what i don`t understand, that my pulse is relatively high: it`s always over 80 bpm. How can i be hypo with this pulse?

Thanks for reading me,
best wishes!

anonymous wrote:

Guest wrote:

I am 51, have had low thyroid, so severe the doctors say they do not know how i am getting up out of bed, i am on 200 milg. of levothyroxin, i am having the same issues with my stomach, it is mostly pain in my left side of stomach but last few days in middle, right under my ribcage...i am having nausa, cold chils, and when i have all this discomfort i have either sever diahrea or constipation..and then my stomach stays very sore , almost like there is a big knot in stomach, can even see a difference in size, like swollen in that area. I have been seen by specilaist and had a colonoscopy and all they told me was hemroids..and gas.. :( ..can this be also related to the thyroid therapy, i have been on a doseage for over ten years.

Me, too! I ran out of my levothyroxine and was without it for just 2 days and now my stomach hates me! I can't predict what it's going to do and I don't want to go out in public because it can be embarrassing. It feels raw! I can't figure out what to do or if I should see my doctor. I was hoping it would be better since I've been back on my levothyroxine for 3 days now but ugh! I was actually diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 years ago because my stomach was so upset that I could hardly eat and lost a lot of weight - despite the fact that I had a broken femur that needed plenty of nutrients to heal. I thought the reason my stomach was so messed up and that I was getting sick twice a week was because of the pain killers I was on but I just kept getting sicker and had a blood test - voila! hypothyroidism. The levothyroxine has helped a lot but I feel just awful right now! *sigh*

PLEASE don't encourage people to "overdose" or take more (or even less) of their thyroid medicine. It can be fatal. It causes heart problems and strokes. NOONE should alter the amount of thyroid medicine they are taking without a doctors permission. It's not Tylenol! It affects the whole body - hormones and metabolism.

I have been on Thyroxine for three years and have had horrendous stomach problems. I have, however, just read the small print on the pack insert which states, in bold, take with water before food. I have been taking them in the evening on an empty stomach!! I now take them just before breakfast then eat immediately - voila - stomach much better - not completely better but I'm getting there and it is much more bearable.