I had my Gall Bladder removed a year ago and I take thyroxine for an underactive thyroid but have started to gain weight and feel sluggish, can the removal of the Gall Bladder effect Thyroid Function

HI KarenAnn43,

I don't know, but I am in the same boat as you. I have gained 33 pounds since gall bladder removal and my existing hypothyroidism worsened about one year after surgery.I think that the effects of both underactive thyroid and gall bladder removal are under researched.They don't even know the direct cause of hypothyroidism - different reasons for it, stress (an operation could be stressful), genetics, pollution.

Having your gallbladder removed can be very disturbing for your organism but having problems with thyroid can only make things worse. Weight gain is common side effect from under active thyroid. I am not sure if the gallbladder removal can have a direct effect on thyroid but i think that it can cause more weight problems. When your gallbladder is removed your bile has no place to be stored and it can go directly to your stomach. Now this can cause complications when your liver produces too much of bile. Your digestive system is not functioning completely and I think a good thing would be for you to regulate your diet as much as you can.